Beta Maxx, also known as B-Maxx, Alpha Trion's tiny, enigmatic companion, has dedicated himself to discovering the reason Cybertronian life came into existence. He is presumed to have been created during the Golden Age, though the identity of his creator is unknown. Beta Maxx was constructed with a vast data-storage capacity, and his spacecraft alt-mode can be used as a Key to Vector Sigma. He is the keeper of a secret codex that can translate ancient Cybertronian texts, and he can interface with many archaic computer systems.
He can even use his alt-mode's side-cannon to beam massive amounts of raw data directly into an enemy's processors, to disabling effect. Unfortunately, his abilities can sometimes get the better of him, as taking in large amounts of data can leave him speaking in unintelligible ancient Cybertronian. Were he in battle at the time, he would find himself unable to communicate with his teammates. In such situations, however, his alt-mode's remarkable aerial maneuverability serves him well, and its front-mounted grenade pulse cannon can leave enemies quickly dismembered.
- Alpha Trion/Weirdwolf (souvenir add-on, BotCon 2007)
- Beta Maxx was released in a bagged BotCon 2007 souvenir set with Alpha Trion and Weirdwolf, limited to 1400 pieces. He is a redeco of Cybertron Vector Prime's partner Safeguard. While Safeguard was identified as a Mini-Con, Beta Maxx has never been called anything but an "Autobot" and a "robot."
- He transforms into a Cybertronic "HI-TECH Star Schooner" with a gunbarrel nosecone.
- When he was first released at BotCon 2007, he was unnamed. His profile, distributed online some time later, was the first and only source of his name.
- Beta Maxx's name references the unsuccessful Betamax video format of the early 1980s.
- When Beta Maxx's profile first went online, his alternate mode was labeled as a "HI-TECH StarZ Schooner". The current version of the profile has dropped the "Z".