|Specifics: Toys and beast mode|
Inferno wholeheartedly believes that he is a fire ant and that Megatron is his queen. Unlike many Predacons, he has no personal ambitions or future plans; everything he does is for the good of the colony and his queen. Luckily for Inferno, many of the tasks his queen assigns him involve burning things - and he likes burning things.
Keeping with his ant mentality, Inferno has absolutely no regard for his own personal safety whatsoever. He is fanatically loyal to Megatron, and as such will use his heavy firepower and incredible strength full-on and take any task given of him, no matter how suicidal. And he'll do it laughing maniacally the entire time, for the glory of the colony.
|“||You're no match for me! Burn, traitor, burn!||”|
—Inferno, "Other Voices, Part 2"
|“||Ahahahaha! FOOL! Pain is my friend--allow me to introduce you to it!||”|
—Inferno, "Coming of the Fuzors, Part 1"
- Italian name: Formicula (toyline), Formikon (show)
- Spanish name: Infierno, Hormitron (toyline)
Beast Wars cartoon
When Inferno's stasis pod crashed to prehistoric Earth, Tarantulas and Blackarachnia immediately set out to claim him as their own. Unfortunately, Inferno had been awakened automatically, having scanned the form of a fire ant. Moreover, his beast mode came to overwhelm his logic circuits, causing Inferno to become wholly convinced that he was an actual fire ant and that his stasis pod was his "colony". Airazor arrived at the scene and was immediately attacked by Inferno and Blackarachnia. During the fight Tarantulas escaped with the stasis pod, which was his real goal, and an enraged Inferno followed. Pursuing the Predacons, Tigatron was able to destroy the stasis pod before Tarantulas was able to get it to his lab. This act put Inferno completely over the edge and he went even crazier (if possible). Before he could finish Tigatron off however, Optimus and Airazor showed up and blew him to bits.
However, Megatron took an immediate shine to the brutish psychopath, proven with the quote "Oooohhh, I like him.", and had him restored, possibly with some mental improvements, and thereafter Inferno was fanatically loyal to Megatron (thinking of him as his "Queen", which Megatron found very annoying). A few death threats changed Inferno's words to calling Megatron "The Royalty", although he occasionally backslid. He continued to make references to his ant mentality (for example, calling the Predacon base the colony and Rampage a drone) throughout the series.
In subsequent skirmishes, he killed Tigatron's mate, discovered and recovered the Alien Disk, and was sent to monitor the treacherous Tarantulas, but went further then Megatron wanted and roasted the spider, only to get knocked out by Blackarachnia. The latter suffered temporary defeat when the Vok's Planet Buster ravaged the planet's surface. After the death of Scorponok, Inferno became the Predacon Sub-Commander. He was taken as seriously as Scorponok was.
When Ravage arrived in the Beast Wars and Megatron's troops were scattered, Inferno sacrificed himself by detonating a huge cache of Energon in a failed attempt to defeat the Maximals. Despite his apparent vaporization, he revived yet again, though with several holes in his chassis.
As the Beast Wars escalated, Inferno's importance and intimidation factor declined. When he was sent (alongside Quickstrike and Waspinator) to destroy a protohuman settlement, not only was he beaten severely by the cavemen, he was also accidentally killed when he was caught in the Nemesis' firing range.
His head was used thereafter by the protohumans as a drum, and his tail thruster was used for their cooking fire.
When Fractyl discovered Furmanite, Inferno was told to watch him. When Packrat showed up, Inferno tried to burn him, and accidently triggered an Energon-Anti-Energon explosion, allowing Packrat to Steal the Furmanite. Because Inferno did not have the Furmanite, and thus, no Energon Armor, his pursuit of Packrat was both disasterous and humiliating.
Universe toy bios
Two different alternate-universe incarnations of Inferno fought in the Universe war.
The Inferno of a parallel Beast Wars was pulled from his universe and altered by Unicron into a "Fire Chief" Lamborghini. He retained his mad desire to engulf his enemies in searing, metal-melting flames... but all of his new weaponry was designed to extinguish fires. Optimus Primal freed him from the Cauldron, and Inferno began following his new "queen" with fanatical devotion as an Autobot and Child of Primus. Even with his anticlimactic new weapons, he still attacked his enemies with savage disregard for his own personal safety.
Another alternate Inferno survived his universe's Beast Wars and ended up back on Cybertron, where Megatron converted him to a Vehicon. This upgrade removed most of his madness, but not his loyalty to his beloved queen. Alas, he somehow ended up in the Universe war as well, serving Optimus Primal against Unicron.
- Inferno (Mega, 1997)
- Japanese ID number: D-11
- Accessories: Mandible claw, spring-loaded missile launcher, 2 insect-leg missiles
- Inferno transforms into a red fire ant. His beast-mode mandibles conceal a missile launcher weapon, plus his abdomen splits open to form spinning blades surrounding a quad-jet thruster.
- This mold was also used to make Antagony.
- Cybershark vs Inferno: Hell Showdown (Vs pack, 1997)
- Japanese ID number: VS-11
- In Japan, Inferno was available both separately and in a "Hell Showdown" vs. pack with Cybershark.
Beast Wars Metals
- Metals Inferno (Mega, 1999)
- Japanese ID number: D-46
- Metals Inferno is almost wholly identical to the Hasbro Mega-Transmetal Predacon Scavenger, only the name tampograph was changed from "SCAVENGER" to "DESTRON" with the faction sigil. He transforms into a robotic ant with a third "transport mode", a double-drill tank. The drills end up as his robot-mode hands, and spin using gear-wheels.
- Inferno (Deluxe, 2003)
- Accessories: Left & right thrusters, 2 "flame" missiles
- A redeco of the Robots in Disguise Prowl toy in a deco similar to the Generation One character Red Alert, Inferno transforms into a "Fire Chief" Lamborghini Diablo. The toy features a pair of pressure-launch missile launchers, which attach to his car-mode spoiler or to his robot-mode forearm, as well as attaching to the car-mode's light bar in robot-mode to form a jet pack.
- This redeco of Scrapmetal was only available in the customization class at BotCon 2006, along with Rumble. Parts were provided, but the individuals taking the class had to assemble and paint the toy.
- For those who wish to reproduce Inferno at home, the following Testors paint colors were used: Gin Green, Bright Blue, Camouflage Gray, Flat White, Cobalt Blue, Deep Pearlescent Purple, Medium Gray, Armored Steel, and Flat Black.
- Inferno (Robot Heroes, 2009)
One of the cancelled in the US Robot Heroes sets which saw release in other parts of the world. Inferno comes with Tigatron.
- Hasbro originally intended Inferno to be the new body for Megatron. According to a 1997 interview conducted by fan HooksX, Bob Forward stated, "For a while there Hasbro was planning to make the Inferno toy the new Megatron. We were going to kill Megatron and bring him back as Inferno." The closest they got was in "Coming of the Fuzors (Part 2)" when Megs and Inferno had a collision and swapped heads.
- True to his beast mode's nature, he has been known to live with his head knocked off or blasted off his body. ( "Spider's Game", "Other Voices, Part 2", and "Coming of the Fuzors, Part 2".) Wasn't the first, and won't be the last. Many episodes have Inferno getting seriously slagged, though he still trails Waspinator in that category. Then again, his G1 namesake has a habit of actually dying, so...
- It's unknown as to why Transmetal Scavenger, a toy clearly designed to be an upgraded Inferno, ended up not being Inferno except in Japan. Maybe Hasbro was just really keen on reclaiming the "Scavenger" trademark. Another theory is that since there were ant colonies of Inferno clogging store shelves (as Inferno had been shipped in a solid case), retailers wouldn't want even more Infernos, so Hasbro had the name changed. Ironically, colonies of Scavengers also formed, as the Transmetal was also shipped in a solid case.
- No one knows exactly how Inferno's beast mode mentality became so dominant; his stasis pod was perfectly intact upon landing, thus ruling out any problems due to damaged circuitry, and Tarantulas's other attempts at reprogramming Maximals caused no such glitch in personality. Perhaps soldier ants simply have such strong instincts that they couldn't be resisted, or perhaps Tarantulas did something different this time around. It isn't out of the question that Inferno could have had some mental issues to begin with. Or... something. A wizard did it. Or the Unicron Singularity.
- Unlike the Autobot of the same name, Inferno actually loves to start fires.
- Inferno quite clearly gets utterly vaporized in an Energon explosion at the end of Season 2; the Madman Entertainment Season 2 DVD commentary states that Inferno was indeed meant to die in the scene. At the time of the episode's production, it wasn't known if Beast Wars would be renewed for a third season (the show's chief writers once stated at BotCon that they'd adopted a "kill 'em all, let Hasbro sort 'em out" attitude towards the show's season finales.) When the show was renewed, Inferno was brought back, looking charred but more or less intact.
- Alongside Blackarachnia, Inferno is the only Predacon on the show to have been a reprogrammed Maximal. Any other Predacons born from Maximal protoforms were either tortured into joining, created from scratch or aligned themselves out of free will.
- Inferno's Universe mass-release and his wave-mate Ratchet were given the "group" name "Machine Robot Rescue", presumably in an attempt by Hasbro to block competitor Bandai from using the name for a potential importation of their Machine Robo Rescue toy series from Japan to the US.
- He despises Scorponok. Probably Because of the fact that Scorponok is an arachind, which do to his beast nature he considers Scorponok as a threat. It is the same case with Waspinator.