Jetfire is a member of the Cybertron Elite Guard. He and Jetstorm, his twin brother, are adapted from Starscream's code. They can combine to form Safeguard. Jetfire and his brother are the youngest Autobot Elite Guard officers. The twins are the only flying Autobots yet made.
Jetfire and Jetstorm fight with each other constantly. Despite being almost identical in every way they constantly insult each other on their appearances, attitudes and intelligence. Nonetheless this all seems to be a game to them, as they clearly care for each other.
They have identical personalities, often know what the other is thinking, and have a tendency to finish each other's sentences and say the same thing at once. They also constantly refer to each other as 'brother'.
|“||That Thing looks like your mother!||”|
|“||Genius, That would make her your mother too!||”|
Transformers Animated comic
The 'bot who would become Jetfire and his brother, who would become Jetstorm, were twins split from the same Protoform according to Ultra Magnus. They were working the slow shift as lowly Energon refiners. But they were always bickering and arguing during work, and one day a fight broke out and an accident occurred, resulting in a huge explosion that offlined them both.
The Elite Guard, who were looking for expendable 'bots to turn into the first flying Autobots, took their lifeless shells and adapted them for flying alt modes, while at the same time using Starscream's programming to give them the ability to fly with them. Despite concerns about creating psychopathic killers, the only side-effects seemed to be that they became even cockier and wilder than ever.
A deca-cycle of programming and building later, the brothers walked in front of Ultra Magnus. The first thing they did was start insulting each other on their new appearances, resulting in another tussle breaking out right there. Sentinel Prime and Jazz both expressed doubts about their suitability as Elite Guard material, and were given the task of giving them special Elite Guard Training.
Sentinel was first up, and after noting that their alt modes were exactly the same, gave them their names - Jetfire and Jetstorm. When he told them to "Transform and Roll Out", both brothers commented that being jets, they had no wheels and could not do so. So Sentinel ordered them to "Transform and Fly Out". They promptly obeyed and flew out, instantly getting into ANOTHER argument about their new flying skills. Unfortunately, since they were flying, sentry towers identified them as Decepticons. But all this did was show that the defense cannons could use a serious upgrade.
After training with Sentinel, the twins went to train with Jazz in the art of Circuitsu. They soon found themselves incapable of understanding a word he said. Upon his orders to show him their 'moves', he easily knocked them down. But when they suddenly started working together, they successfully and rapidly took him down.
As the twins were easily beating every combat simulation the Elite Guard had, they began to get cocky. So Perceptor decided to create a new simulation with Decepticons in it. Using more of Starscream's code, another combat simulation with Starscream himself in it was made. While at first they did well, things took a sharp downward turn when a simulation of Starscream himself was introduced. Simulated Starscream started beating the living daylights out of them, using genuine Starscream sadism and cruelty to taunt and damage them. When the Elite Guard tried to shut it down, they found it impossible.
Furious at the Simulated Starscream for what he'd done to his brother, Jetfire started using his newly discovered flamethrowers to set them both on fire - but he couldn't control the new ability. It started to manifest itself in his real body too, threatening to send the entire building up in flames.
As Jetstorm recovered a little, he saw his brother unable to control himself. Desperate to save his brother from his new abilities, he found a new ability of his own - wind/ice turbines that had enough strength to blow out Jetfire's flames, also cooling his real body back down.
Even as the two brothers thanked and congratulated each other though, the Sim Starscream returned, ready to kill. But then the twins discovered their true power - they could together combine into Safeguard, a single, more powerful form, and beat Starscream back using a more controlled blast combining their powers. When they were separated again by Sim Starscream in jet mode, they combined again to make a larger, more powerful jet, and pretty much defeated Sim Starscream.
When they were finally brought back down from the program, they were told they had passed their training, and were now Elite Guard Junior Officers. Their first mission was to track Waspinator with Sentinel and Jazz, in hopes of finding Decepticon ringleaders.
Transformers Animated cartoon
|This section covers fiction that is ongoing. It will be added to as the story progresses. If it isn't current, you can help by updating it.|
Jetfire and his twin came to Earth with Sentinel and Jazz, and quickly found the traitor they were looking for. Little did they know, they had found someone else that just happened to be disguised as Wasp. Jetfire was about to throw some fire at the little bot when he was shot in the back by an unknown bot. His brother's wind accidentally carried 'Wasp' away, and Jetstorm ran over to his fallen twin, telling him to tag-team. This would not be so, as the unknown bots' accomplice hit Jetstorm in the back. Realizing their new enemy, the two took on an offensive tactic.
Jetfire dodged Ratchet's magnetic blasts and ran up a wall, telling Ratchet he was too slow, and taking him down with a jump and some fire. After some more running up and jumping on walls, the two fast and acrobatic twins agreed to double-up and merged into Safeguard. Easily taking down Ratchet, they had a test of strength against the now slightly smaller Optimus until their mentors could arrive and explain what was going on. Sentinel ordered the twins to go and find the fugitive they had blown away, and the Autobots flew off.
Angry to see that the two other Autobots were traitors as well, Jetfire sent a blast of flames at the three on the ground. After his brother had caught 'Wasp', Jetfire attempted to burn Bulkhead as well, but was interrupted when Prowl jumped on top of him. While trying to attack Prowl, Bulkhead sent Jetfire flying backwards to where his brother and the fugitive were.
After witnessing Bulkhead's rather strange explanation as to why Wasp was actually Bumblebee, it was decided that they would try to figure out who was who, and pitted 'Wasp' against 'Bumblebee' in a video game match. Both of the twins expressed their excitement over discovering the concept of a video game, but were unable to play the winner like they had hoped.
- Jetfire and Jetstorm (Deluxe 2-Pack, 2008)
- Jetfire is packaged with his twin, Jetstorm, who is basically a retool of him in blue. He turns into an orange and white homage-to-nothing jet fighter. His main gimmick is combining with his twin to form Safeguard or a strange superjet. Both also have transparent flames or ice on their legs which are on hinges.
- Due to the extra degree of manipulation needed for transformation into their combiner mode, both Jetfire and Jetstorm are very well articulated . But the little things on their hips have a tendency to pop off a lot, and they're a nightmare to put back in.
- Despite mulitple sources stating these two are the only Autobots who can fly, it seems they are conveniently forgetting about Omega Supreme and Swoop (who, also despite being a Dinobot is still an Autobot who can fly).
- Well, they are under Sentinel Prime's command, so perhaps nobody recorded the others.
- Omega Supreme is seen more as a weapon of mass destruction than a fellow Autobot, and Swoop doesn't really count because, although he is a Dinobot, he was created by Megatron, plus he and the other two Dinobots are only known to the citizens of Detroit and the Earth-bound Autobots.
- The exclusive comic that comes free with their box set states clearly that we will see them in Season Three of Transformers. It should have been more interesting to see how Bumblebee reacted to them...
- Jetfire and Jetstorm are currently the only Autobots ( 'Longarm' being a Decepticon in truth) in the toyline that do not possess an Earth version of their alt modes. Too bad their Cybertronian alt modes aren't more interesting.
- Both he and Jetstorm speak with Russian accents in the cartoon. That is slagging awesome.
- Jetfire and Jetstorm aren't the only ones whose creation was an inspiration from Starscream. Remember Rampage?
- Jetfire's head resembles a Russian tank man's helmets, particularly his goggles and headphones-like additions. That may somehow explain his Russian accent — or just make things a lot more crazy.