|The Transformers > Season 2 > Episode 18|
|Previous episode||Next episode|
|Fight! Super Robot Lifeform Transformers> ep 25|
|Previous episode||Next episode|
Perceptor, Brawn, and Bumblebee must shrink themselves to go inside Megatron and retrieve an artifact, the Heart of Cybertron, that gives him enormous power.
Japanese title: "The Micro Suicide Squad"
While digging for Mayan artifacts in South America, a group of archaeologists, including a blue haired woman named Joan, stumble upon an ancient spacecraft. As news of the discovery is broadcast on the news, Soundwave and Megatron recognize it as the Nemesis, the Decepticon ship they traveled to Earth in four million years ago. Megatron states that there is something on that ship which he wants, and sets out to get it.
Meanwhile, at the Autobots' HQ, Perceptor is using a shrinking-enlarging device to repair one of Ironhide's memory chips while being insulted by Brawn for not being a soldier. Bumblebee walks in and tries to make him stop, almost ending in a fight between Bumblebee and Brawn, when Optimus Prime orders Brawn and Bumblebee to follow him to South America along with Ratchet, to stop Megatron from obtaining what he wants.
As Megatron's troops blast their way through a rainforest in order to avoid satellite detection, Starscream manages to miss a tree and gets attacked by a giant snake, to the amusement of Rumble and the Constructicons (and everyone else). Meanwhile, Ravage has met his match in the form of a real Jaguar. The Autobots arrive and after a slight comment by Prime, decide not to burn the forest down, because Optimus says "that's not our style."
Megatron gets through the forest first, and reaches the ship. Blasting it open, he retrieves the ship's energy core, the Heart of Cybertron. Hook implants it into Megatron's torso, vastly increasing his power level. Optimus Prime then arrives and orders the Autobots to attack, but they are all defeated by Megatron's new ability to continuously fire energy from his fingertips. The Autobots only manage to escape by destroying a hill, burying the Decepticons under rubble. The Autobots return to the base where Brawn makes another comment about how Perceptor is not injured and Optimus tells him to shut it.
While Optimus Prime creates a force-field to keep Megatron at bay, Perceptor hatches a plan to shrink himself, Brawn and Bumblebee to microscopic size in order to infiltrate Megatron's body and disconnect the Heart of Cybertron. They shrink down and use Powerglide to sneak up on the Decepticons.
Meanwhile, the Decepticons sit around and get
wasted overcharged on energon. After Megatron rambles on about the "good ol' days" and passes out, Powerglide delivers the tiny Autobots into his body. This causes him to wake up and go to destroy the Autobots himself, as the rest of his forces can't stay on their feet.
Perceptor, Brawn and Bumblebee make their way through Megatron's body, avoiding his electro-sanitizers and riding his evil brain impulses. They eventually reach the Heart of Cybertron, disconnect it, and get out of Megatron just as the shrink-ray was wearing off. Brawn throws the Heart 2000 miles into the sky, at which point Perceptor blasts it. After this, Brawn shows much more respect for Perceptor.
(Numbers indicate order of appearance.)
"Yeah, now let's waste it! I hate nice things."
- —Rumble and Scavenger, the latter sounding very familiar.
Megatron: Decpeticons, introduce yourselves!
[The Decepticons open fire at the humans]
- —Megatron letting us know NEVER to ask who or what the Decepticons are.
Perceptor: "Well hello there little microchip, what seems to be the matter with you today?
Let me get a closer look... mmm a blocked linkage"
Ironhide: "Quit talkin' to that thing and fix it, I can't remember a thing without it."
- —Perceptor babying a microchip and proving all Autobot scientists are crazy.
[Starscream shoots at a tree and misses]
Rumble: "Good shot, Starscream!"
Starscream: "Shut up or I'll blast you, punk!"
Rumble: "Hey, hold that pose! I wanna remember you that way!"
[A snake wraps itself around Starscream's neck]
Starscream: "Help! Get this thing off me!"
Rumble: "I think it looks stunning on ya!"
- —Rumble and the Constructicons laugh at Starscream.
"This jungle's too thick, we'll have to huff it."
- —Prime makes a very... interesting comment. Makes you wonder how many drug references there are in this episode.
Brawn: "Are you defective? How're we gonna do that?!
Perceptor: "Simple! We use my trans-mat reduction beam to shrink down to microscopic size. Then, we crawl into Megatron, and rip the blasted heart out!"
Optimus: "What do you think of his intelligence now, Brawn?"
Brawn: "Ahhh, I reserve judgment."
- —Brawn, Perceptor, and Optimus Prime
Megatron: "Decepticons: a toast. To the imminent destruction of the accursed Autobots!"
[The Decepticons begin drinking Energon]
Starscream: "Energy! We won't need to conserve it after tomorrow. We can bleed this planet dry!"
Rumble: [hiccups] "Boy, these are good. [hiccups] I needed to refuel. Energy!"
Decepticons: "Energy! Energy!"
Thundercracker: "Hey! This stuff's the greatest!" [passes out]
Megatron: "Ah, those were the good ol' days, back on Cybertron...Didn't have to...sneak around in these...ugly Earth disguises."
Powerglide: "Time to cut the jets and glide!...What in the world?"
Megatron: "Good ol' Cybertron! Land... of the metal... moon!"
- — Plastered Decepticons and Powerglide in what is possibly the funniest scene of the original cartoon.
Bumblebee: "Where are we?"
Perceptor: "Megatron's shoulder joint, his chest must be around here somewhere."
Brawn: "I'm glad you told us, I never could have figured that out by myself."
- —Brawn proving he is the biggest jerk in this episode. And it has Powerglide in it.
"Let's bash brain!"
- — Typical Brawn.
Animation and/or technical glitchesEdit
- When Optimus is telling the Autobots to leave the base, Perceptor has a red Decepticon symbol. No wonder Brawn doesn't trust him. But Then again.
- When the Constructicons laugh at Starscream, they use Rumble's laughter while Rumble is talking. This laughter is reused a second later by Rumble himself when he is done talking.
- Most of the Autobots do not follow Optimus to South America, but appear anyway halfway through the battle with Megatron.
- Ratchet says "do" twice in a row when talking to Bumblebee at the end.
- When the Decepticons get drunk, Soundwave is seen drinking amongst the crowd, despite having a faceplate.
- When Perceptor said the Heart of Cybertron was going to explode, the voice that came out of his mouth was Brawn's.
- The box that Perceptor, Brawn and Bumblebee are put into Varies in size, from barely fitting into Prime's hand, to very, very small.
- Various Constructicons are colored incorrectly in many scenes.
- When Optimus is speaking to the Autobots in the jungle, his head moves right then instantly slightly left again instantly it appears where it first was and, YET AGAIN instantly moves back.
- The Decepticons' ship was depicted as being the same size as the ship used by the Autobots in the opening episode, but here it's considerably smaller.
- Optimus comments to Brawn that its not the Autobots' style to blast their way through the forest in order to reach Megatron. Clearly he doesn't remember ordering Jazz and Sunstreaker to blast their way through the forest in order to reach Megatron and the Solar Needle in the episode "Changing Gears". Of course, that situation was a little more time-sensitive than this one.
- The Decepticon ship in this episode was later dubbed the Nemesis by the episode of the same name in Beast Wars. The ship itself is not named in "Microbots".
- The Japanese title is apparently a reference to DC Comics' Suicide Squad.
- The plot of this episode bears a vague resemblance to the Fantastic Voyage.
- This episode is perhaps the only one to show drunken Decepticons. This is a real bummer, because they make happy, funny drunks.
- This is nitpicking to an extent, but when Megatron sees the Nemesis on the viewscreen, he says, "It's a Decepticon ship, and you know what is inside of it." Wouldn't you expect him to say "our" ship?
- Because the ship wasn't name "Nemesis" back then, it's possible that "Decepticon Ship" is a designation of the ship in script.
- The pulsating sound heard when Perceptor and company approach the Heart of Cybertron within Megatron is the same one used for the Dalek control rooms in all episodes of Doctor Who since 1963.
- Megatron apparently has a wristwatch on his left wrist, which he looks at while flying around (causing concern for the Autobots within his shoulder joints).
- At one point, Brawn proposes killing Megatron from the inside. Perceptor stops him, saying that if he fell while flying, the impact could detonate the Heart of Cybertron. Once Megatron landed this wouldn't seem to be a concern anymore, but the Autobots still choose to remove the Heart of Cybertron rather than bashing brains. Perhaps even a short fall would have been enough?
- Megatron already has a open spot between his chest circuitry for the Heart of Cybertron, much like Ultra Magnus and Hot Rod have reserved spots (holes) for the Matrix.
- When Megatron is drunk, he states he liked the good old days on Cybertron and hates sneaking around in ugly earth disguises, it almost sound like he says ugly ASS disguises. Not the first time a Transformer swore (hint-hint).
- This episode shows that Beast Machines Megatron was not the only one to dislike their Earth altmode.
- Even when every one else is shrunk, Bumblebee is still a midget.
- Soundwave is able to drink energon, despite the fact that he doesn't even have a mouth. Also, it would've been funny to hear him talk in a drunken manner.
- Why didn't the Autobots install the Heart of Cybertron in Optimus? It would have ended the war a lot quicker.
- With "The Heart of Cybertron," imagine how powerful Megatron would have been in pistol mode, shooting more focused blasts.