|“||A necessary sacrifice to bring peace to this planet. We cannot let the humans pay for our mistakes.||”|
—Optimus Prime on deciding that he is prepared to sacrifice his life to destroy the AllSpark, Transformers
Optimus Prime is the leader of the Autobots. Long ago, he was the novice to the Great Sentinel Prime and the humble leader of Cybertron's science division, which studied the AllSpark and were protected by Lord High Protector Megatron's military. When Megatron was corrupted by the Fallen, Optimus discovered that he was the last of the Dynasty of Primes hidden away when the Fallen destroyed their lineage. In response to Megatron's attempts to seize the AllSpark and conquer other worlds, Optimus assumed his proper title and rallied the Autobots to stand against the Decepticons. Before the disappearance of Sentinel, Optimus is handed the leadership of the Autobots.
As obsessively as Megatron strives to achieve his objective, Optimus is equally as dedicated to stopping him even at the cost of his life, his world and - if necessary - his own people. It was on his order that the AllSpark was jettisoned into space, dooming Cybertron to a slow death and his people to a nomadic life. The sacrifices he has made weigh heavily on his spark, but they must be done for there is no other choice. He knows the ambitions that lurk in his brother's spark and they must never see the light of day. Lives must be kept free from the threat of Megatron's tyranny, no matter the cost. This obsession with the defeat of Megatron has robbed Optimus of some of his early idealism. This has created a certain ruthlessness beneath his otherwise honest and caring personality. Prime is not one for second chances and is willing to consider any action that might lead to victory, short of directly sacrificing those he cares about.
Japanese: Optimus Prime (オプティマスプライム Oputimasu Puraimu) Cantonese: O Baak Man (Hong Kong, 柯柏文) Hungarian: Optimusz Fővezér ("Prime Leader Optimus") Indonesian: Optimus Prime (옾티뭇 패리므"Op-ti-mus Pri-me", different from Optimus Prime), sometimes also Sang Ketujuh (상 크투줗"The Seventh") (In Indonesian, Optimus is known as the seventh Prime) or Pemimpin Para Autobot (프밈핀 파라 아우토붙"The Leader of the Autobots") Mandarin: Kē Bó Wén (Taiwan, 柯博文), Qíng Tīan Zhù (China, 擎天柱, "Pillar that Supports the Sky") Ukrainian: Optimus Naikrashchiy (Оптимус Наiкращий, "Optimus the Best")
Prime Directive prequel comics
For two generations, Optimus Prime ruled Cybertron side-by-side with Megatron. The two personalities created a balance; Prime was fair while Megatron was firm. However, when Megatron revealed his intentions to steal the All Spark and use it for evil, selfish gain, Prime reacted accordingly. He formed the Autobots, a militia from the civilians around him, but they fared terribly against Megatron's armies, the Decepticons. Ultimately, Prime was forced to eject the All Spark into space to keep it from his nemesis. Unfortunately, Megatron tracked the All Spark to Tyger Pax, where Bumblebee's unit was trying to slow down the Decepticons. Prime and the Autobots were held up in Simfur, and unable to come assist. Fortunately, Bumblebee's unit succeeded, and the All Spark was ejected into space, but Cybertron was sentenced to a slow death. The Autobots were forced to abandon the planet.
Thus the focus of the war between Autobot and Decepticon shifted. The All Spark's ejection was only a stall. No longer did Prime have to keep Megatron from stealing the All Spark, instead Prime and his Autobots must hunt down the All Spark, wherever in the universe it landed, before Megatron could.
- Voice actor: Peter Cullen
Transformers: Ghosts of Yesterday prequel novel
Optimus Prime led the search for the All Spark in the Ark, a transport vessel. When they came across an abandoned solar system, they located a vessel of strangely Cybertronian design, seemingly of Decepticon make. When the vessel fled to the surface of a planet, Prime dispatched Bumblebee to investigate while he and the other Autobots battled Decepticons from the Nemesis. Prime managed to defeat Blackout, Scorponok, and Frenzy all on his own. After losing touch with Bumblebee, Prime went down to locate him on the planet, where they were attacked by Starscream and the alien ship. They fell into a cavern network, where they were further attacked by indigenous worms.
During their flight from the creatures, Optimus Prime and Bumblebee came across the alien vessel. Prime realized that they were trying to surrender, so the Autobots communicated with its crew. Optimus explained that they came in peace, "freedom is the right of all sentient beings," Starscream tricks everyone, and so on. However, the creatures, who called themselves "humans", explained that they held Megatron, whom they called the Ice Man, on their home world, Earth. Realizing the destruction Megatron would wreak upon the humans if he escaped, and that the humans would be unable to defend themselves effectively, Prime vowed to see them return to their world to warn it. Prime was able to blast an opening in the cavern, and the group escaped. As they returned to the Ark, Prime began to speculate that the All Spark was what drew Megatron to Earth.
In the ensuing battle with the Decepticons, Prime was in the difficult position of fighting Starscream and protecting the human ship. His distractions allowed Bonecrusher to spear him with his tail. The difficult state nearly gave Starscream the chance to kill him, but the humans saved Prime's life by damaging Starscream, who destroyed them. Optimus Prime was inspired by their courage and sacrifice, and resolved to locate Earth before the Decepticons did—and hopefully before Megatron came back online.
Transformers (2007) film
- Voice actor: Peter Cullen (English), Tesshō Genda (Japanese), Guilherme Briggs (Brazil), Reiner Schöne (German), Andrey Yaroslavcev (Russian), Szélyes Imre (Hungarian)
|“||At the end of this day, one shall stand. One shall fall.||”|
—Optimus Prime as he takes on Megatron
The leader of the Autobots, Optimus Prime came to Earth shortly after Bumblebee signals his comrades with his beacon. Upon atmospheric re-entry, Prime managed to land outside of Tranquility's inhabited areas. While Sam and Mikaela watched, Optimus transformed in his protoform and fled his landing place. From atop a hill, he quickly trans-scanned the form of an Earth Peterbilt Semi-truck, thus configuring his body to transform into it. Prime, Jazz, Ratchet, and Ironhide met up with Bumblebee and his human friends, Sam Witwicky and Mikaela Banes in an alley. In one of the most extended transformations in the multiverse, Prime assumed his robotic form before the stunned humans. After confirming Sam's identity, Prime introduced himself and his team. When Mikaela asked of the Autobots' intentions, Prime explained the search for the All Spark, the betrayal of Megatron, and why Sam was important to their search.
Glasses that belonged to Sam's ancestor, Captain Archibald Witwicky, contained the location of the All Spark encoded across its lenses, so Optimus Prime ordered his troops to wait outside Sam's house while Sam and Mikaela searched inside for the glasses. Much to Sam's exasperation, Optimus Prime, in his impatience, clumsily ruined his parents' garden. Prime's attempts to hide, such as having the Autobots transform into vehicle mode right in the backyard; were also less than satisfactory. Ultimately, Sam came so close to a panic attack that Prime was forced to order the Autobots to fall back. As Prime lectured his team on their supposed inability to remain quiet, Ratchet got himself shocked by walking into some power lines, then crushing a greenhouse during his fall, causing further problems thus making Ron think there was an earthquake and ran under the table asking Judy to "duck and cover." When the parents came to investigate, Prime's attempt to avoid discovery caused the house to shake, as Ron jumps into an old cast-iron tub and stated that he hates earthquakes; though this was to their benefit, as the father assumed that the damage to the yard was the result of an earthquake. Ironhide suggested that he should kill the parents as they were very irritating, but Optimus scolded his old friend. Despite all this, their presence remained undetected until Sector Seven arrived (in a convoy of GMC Yukons) and abducted Sam, Mikaela, and Sam's parents.
Optimus Prime sent the Autobots in pursuit of the SUV that contained Sam, Mikaela, and Sector Seven's director, Agent Simmons. Prime intercepted the vehicle carrying their young human friends, ripping the roof of the vehicle off, with the other Autobots disarming the agents, and made it perfectly clear to Simmons how ticked off he was at him for trying to apprehend the two children, regarding this as a bad move on Simmons' behalf. Optimus then ordered his comrades to relieve the agents of their weapons, and attempted to interrogate Simmons. The agents' lack of surprise at their appearance indicated that they had seen Cybertronians before, but Simmons refused to reveal any information. With a Sector Seven backup team en route, Prime ordered the Autobots to scatter, while he took Sam and Mikaela. While hiding under a bridge, Mikaela and Sam slipped and fell off Prime's shoulder. Bumblebee managed to catch them before impact, but was captured, and Sam and Mikaela recaptured, by the organization after their retreat.
Optimus Prime, now in possession of the glasses which could tell him the location of the All Spark, regretfully left Bumblebee in Sector Seven's hands, knowing that if they went after him, they would have to use deadly force. After regrouping the next day, Prime used the glasses to locate the All Spark. Jazz raised objections to leaving Bumblebee behind, but Prime remained firm in his belief of not harming the humans. Ironhide seemed okay with using deadly force, stating the humans were a "primitive and violent race", but Prime countered that when their time had come, the Cybertronians had been little different. Going on to explain the potential he saw in the humans, as well as reminding them that "freedom is the right of all sentient beings", Prime revealed to the Autobots his real plan for the All Spark: if they could not defeat the Decepticons, Prime intended to merge the Cube with his spark. Though this would destroy the All Spark, Ratchet cautioned Prime against this, as it would also kill him as the Cube is raw power. Prime believed that this was acceptable, vowing not to let another race suffer the mistakes of the Transformers. The glasses placed the All Spark at Hoover Dam where, luckily, Bumblebee and the young humans were taken.
Optimus Prime's team met up with Sector Seven, Bumblebee, Sam, and Mikaela en route, who had planned to hide the All Spark in nearby Mission City. While on the highway CA-210, he was attacked by Bonecrusher, who managed to tackle Optimus and drag him over the edge of a freeway overpass. During the battle, Optimus struck the hate-filled Transformer so hard his left optic popped out. As the Decepticon swung his claw wildly, Optimus drew his sword from his right arm and sliced off one of Bonecrusher's arms, before brutally finishing off his enemy by driving the blade through Bonecrusher's neck, severing his head.
Optimus arrived at Mission City just in time to observe Megatron discarding the remains of Jazz and challenged him. Millennia in the ice had done nothing to lessen Megatron's hatred of his brother, and he launched himself in jet mode at the Autobot leader. Optimus leaped and grabbed hold of the wings, which was a really bad idea, as Megatron drove himself and Prime through an office block.
As they flew out of the building onto the street below, Megatron transformed and leapt on top of Prime, declaring the humans undeserving of life. Prime rejected his claims, saying that they deserved to choose for themselves. Megatron threw Prime across the street, declaring that if he wished to defend the humans, Prime could die with them. He then formed his fusion cannon from his forearms. The power up time allowed Prime to draw his ion blaster and fire hitting Megatron. The Decepticon used the momentum to spin around, then used the fusion cannon to blast Prime across the street into another building. Megatron then resumed the hunt for Sam and the All Spark.
Tracking Megatron to the deserted building, Prime barely managed to catch Sam after Megatron knocked him off the roof. Telling the boy to hold onto the Cube and stay close to him; Prime attempted to scale down the building, but Megatron jumped on Prime, causing them both to fall down hard onto the street below. Sam survived, however, Optimus told the boy that if he could not defeat Megatron, that Sam must put the All Spark into his chest which would destroy it. As Sam sought cover, Optimus faced down Megatron, informed him that, "At the end of this day, one shall stand, one shall fall". Unfortunately, Megatron, even after years of stasis, proved to be far too powerful for Prime to defeat alone. The unit led by Lennox and the Raptor squadron laid down suppressing fire as Megatron reached for the All Spark, until Optimus finally took him down by sweeping his legs. Still, Megatron continued crawling toward the cube. Believing he had lost, Optimus implored Sam to put the All Spark into his chest. Sam instead thrust it into Megatron's chest, killing the Decepticon leader and destroying the All Spark.
As Optimus watched his brother die, he remorsefully stated there was no other choice. He also told Sam he owed him a debt of gratitude for saving his life, but was then informed that his old friend Jazz had not survived. Prime sadly eulogised his comrade, then commented that they had gained new comrades in the humans, and was honoured by their bravery. Bumblebee, who had finally regained his voice, requested permission to remain with Sam Witwicky, to which the young human eagerly agreed and Optimus approved. He noticed a fragment of the All Spark in Megatron's chest cavity and removed it, then permitted the humans to dispose of the Decepticon corpses by dumping them into the
deepest 2nd deepest part of the ocean.
Though Megatron was killed and his Decepticons were defeated, the All Spark was destroyed, leaving the Autobots unable to restore Cybertron. The Autobots elected to remain on Earth and Prime sent a message into deep space to any surviving Autobots in the Galaxy to come to their new home on Earth, their long years of searching having finally having come to an end. As the other Autobots rested, Optimus Prime looked to the sky, hoping his message had been heard.
When war broke out, Optimus studied the entire history of intergalactic warfare from any datatrack he could find - he studied whole campaigns to desperate last stands, gaining a focused "playbook" of warfare strategy. He understands warfare on a practical and psychological level, and in desperate battles knows to show no mercy to opponents beyond a swift death.
Optimus was the focus of constant attacks by assassin drones and killed them all. In the aftermath of one, he witnessed a prophetic vision of the Mission City battle and realized the All Spark's ejection could spread war to other planets—but too late to stop the launch...
Almost immediately after the final battle against Megatron, Optimus Prime had to lead the Autobots against a horde of zombie Decepticons. Despite having no idea how they could be stopped and having had his power drained by fighting Megatron, Optimus continued to fight the monsters rather than let them run amok. Ratchet worked out a solution just in time before Optimus fell.
In the alternate reality of Twilight's Last Gleaming, Megatron defeated Optimus and took the All Spark at Mission City. Prime's body was now partially frozen and in Decepticon hands. He was the last and only hope of the Earth resistance, and so Bumblebee and Mikaela Banes were not happy to find him offline. She thawed him out while Bumblebee distracted Megatron, and the revived Prime challenged Megatron to a solo duel... Unfortunately, Megatron's link to the All Spark meant Optimus could not do any lasting damage and was never going to win. Luckily, Bumblebee and Mikaela saved the day, hitting the distracted Megatron with an old Sector Seven nanovirus. (Which means they were the last and only hope, but oh well.) Despite Megatron dying as a result and the All Spark being destroyed elsewhere, Prime could take no satisfaction in victory: this battle was won, but the war remained...
He became resigned to the fact that Humanity, battered by Decepticon occupation, would view both Autobot and Decepticon as hostile invaders. When NATO was manipulated into attacking the Autobots, Optimus refused to allow his men to return fire, and after the crisis passed, he was sure that the Decepticons' unknown new commander was up to something bigger. Optimus has also placed the last All Spark fragment in the care of Ratchet, though he's worried exposure to Megatron may have corrupted it.
Revenge of the Fallen film
- Voice actor: Peter Cullen
|“||Autobots, I am in pursuit!||”|
—Optimus going after Demolishor.
With the destruction of Megatron, Optimus Prime thought that he was finally, after millions of years, at peace. Little did he know that the escape of Starscream would draw dozens of new Decepticons to Earth. The desire that burns brightest in his spark is that the war will soon end. He is determined to see that end come, and so he works with his human comrades and the other Autobots to hunt the Decepticons that have come down to Earth, and destroy them one by one.
When in Shanghai along with Ironhide, Sideswipe, Skids, Mudflap and Arcee, they battled the giant Decepticon Demolishor. Airlifted into the area, Optimus Prime climbed atop and brought Demolisher down by shooting him several times in the head while Ironhide destroyed his giant wheel, sending the Decepticon crashing into the ground. Mortally wounded, Demolisher taunted Optimus with a warning: "The Fallen shall rise again". Optimus disagreed and delivered a point blank blast right through his face, killing him mercilessly.
Optimus and the N.E.S.T. returned to Diego Garcia where the National Security Advisor questioned the Autobots continued presence on Earth and proposed having the Autobots leave, which Optimus agreed to if asked.
After Ravage and the Microcons stole the All Spark shard, Optimus turned to the one ally he has that he believed could help convince the government: Sam Witwicky. Optimus met with Sam in a cemetery after sending Bumblebee to retrieve him, but Sam refused to help, believing that he wasn't the man for the job and that Optimus didn't need his help. Optimus was clearly frustrated, saying that they need Sam's help more than he knows.
Later, Optimus and Bumblebee came to Sam, Mikaela and Leo's rescue after they're captured by the Decepticons. Drawing his ion blaster and barrage cannon, Optimus smacked and blasted Starscream out of the warehouse before landing a point-blank range shot on Megatron, sending him flying. As Megatron flew away, Optimus transformed and drove Sam to safety. Optimus drove into a forest, but Megatron sped towards them in his vehicle mode from behind. Megaton fired some stray shots at Prime in his tank form before jumping onto Prime, intending to rip Prime apart while he was still in truck form. However, Optimus transformed at the last minute and punched Megatron while both robots were in mid-air. Megatron then tackled Prime, and both of them hurtled to the ground, while Sam hid on Prime's orders. Prime proceeded to beat Megatron with a tree and punched him in the back, before slashing him with one of his energon swords. This prompted Megatron to call Grindor and Starscream, who come crashing through the trees. Prime grappled with Starscream, kicking Megatron away at the same time, before holding Starscream up-side down in the air and kicking him in the head. However, the three 'cons formed a bully circle around Prime, with Grindor and Starscream shooting their machine guns at Prime before Megatron sent him flying backwards a point blank shot from his fusion cannon.
Megatron questioned why Prime was sacrificing the future of the Cybertronian race over a single human life. Urged by Sam to keep fighting, however, Optimus replied "You'll never stop at one!", deployed his twin energon blades, and shouted, "I'll take you all on!" and showed the Decepticons what a Prime is. Optimus slashed at all three Decepticons, in the process cutting off Grindor's right arm and once again grappling with Starscream and using Starscream to swirl around the Decepticons by flipping over his back. Optimus ripped Starscream's right arm off and used it as a club against the Decepticon, knocking him out. Optimus then tore Grindor's head apart using his energon hooks, killing him. However, Optimus was brutally impaled from behind by Megatron, fatally injuring him. Collapsing to the ground, Prime's last words were "Sam, run...".
The Autobots arrived seconds later, forcing the Decepticons to retreat. Optimus' body was airlifted to Diego Garcia and later transported to Egypt upon Sam's request, in hopes of resurrecting him with the Matrix of Leadership. He succeeded, with Optimus exclaiming both his surprise and happiness that Sam saved him. However, before Optimus was able to fully recover, The Fallen arrived, knocking down Prime and the other Autobots and stealing the Matrix to power the Solar Harvester.
Jetfire, who was mortally wounded, ripped out his own spark and gave Optimus his parts to use to make himself more powerful to defeat The Fallen as "only a Prime can defeat The Fallen". Ordered by Ratchet, Jolt used his electricity charged whips to fuse Jetfire's parts with the weakened Optimus. Optimus, using Jetfire's engines, flew to the top of the pyramid and tackled The Fallen. Optimus destroyed the Solar Harvester with his rifle, used Megatron's own cannon to blow half of his face off, severed his right arm and finally knocked him out of the fight with a huge blast from his jet engines. Optimus continued his fierce battle with The Fallen, eventually managing to impale him through the shoulder with his own spear, rip off his face plate and finish him off by ripping out his spark. Realizing they'd lost, Starscream and a severely weakened Megatron fled. Victorious, Optimus discarded Jetfire's components and rejoined his companions.
Later, on the deck of an aircraft carrier, Optimus joined Sam and thanked him for saving his life to which Sam responded "You're welcome" and thanked him for believing in him. Optimus then broadcasted a message about the shared history and future of the humans and Transformers race.
Dark of the Moon film
|“||Always the bravest of us, but you could never make the hard decisions!||”|
—Sentinel Prime on Optimus, Dark of the Moon
Optimus, now with a trailer that transforms into a weapons pack that can also acts as flight gear, traveled to Chernobyl with N.E.S.T. where they retrieved a mysterious piece of metal part before coming under attack by
Shockwave's monstrous "pet" Driller. Optimus grabbed a sword and shield from his weapons pack and cut loose the piece of metal parts. Shockwave emerged from the Driller to glare at Optimus before fleeing with his pet. Optimus was shocked and surprised to discover that the mysterious piece of metal was an engine part from the long-lost Ark.
The Autobots return to NEST with the part and Optimus remained in alternate mode and refused to speak to anyone at first even when Charlotte Mearing approached him. Eventually, however, Optimus transformed rather violently and confronted Mearing about the part and the fact that they were told that everything humanity knew about the Cybertronians had been told. Mearing explained that it was kept secret from everyone except a very few people and brings in Buzz Aldrin to explain. After learning of the Ark being crashed on the moon, Optimus decided to take the Xantium to investigate the wreckage.
Optimus and Ratchet traveled to the moon and entered the Ark where they found Sentinel in stasis lock with five of the pillars, including the Control Pillar. They recovered the pillars and Sentinel and returned to Earth with them.
Upon their return to Earth, the pillars were put into a vault under the human's control and Optimus prepared to use the Matrix of Leadership to revive Sentinel. After the arrival of Sam Witwicky, Optimus successfully revived Sentinel, who initially attacked him out of confusion before calming down after learning where they are. The two then explained to the humans about the space bridge and the threat that would be posed if the Decepticons learned of it and got the pillars.
Afterwards, Optimus took Sentinel for a drive to show him some of the planet. Sentinel was impressed and Optimus humbly offered him the Matrix of Leadership after lamenting what could've happened if Sentinel had led the final battle of the war. Sentinel refused the Matrix and told Optimus that he is now the teacher, not him.
Later, Optimus rushed back to the base after Sam discovered what the Decepticons were up to, but is too late as Sentinel had revealed his true colors, murdered Ironhide, and taken the pillars.
At the National Mall, Optimus confronted Sentinel, who was using the space bridge to bring an army of hundreds of Decepticons to Earth, and pleaded with him to stop. When Sentinel refused, Optimus tried to fight the treacherous Autobot, but was no match for his former mentor. Sentinel easily pinned him down and Optimus demanded an explanation for Sentinel's betrayal. Sentinel claimed that he did what he did to save Cybertron before leaving, telling Optimus that he was lucky he didn't kill him and that he would one day understand.
After Sentinel made an ultimatum to the United Nation, the Autobots were ordered to expelled from the planet. Near the Xantium, Optimus met with a deeply saddened Sam who tried to get him to stay. Optimus informed Sam that they had to go and gave some words of wisdom to his old friend about not losing faith in yourself and that the war was the humans' now. Sam, under threat against his girlfriend, tried to find out the Autobots plans, subtley warning Optimus of the truth by telling him that no other human will ever know. Optimus told him that was is no plan and told Bumblebee to make his goodbye quick. Optimus and the other Autobots were apparently killed when the Xantium was shot down by Starscream.
In truth, Optimus and the others abandoned the Xantium before its destruction and they headed to Chicago to fight the Decepticons with the element of surprise. Optimus arrived just in time to shoot down a Decepticon fighter ship and save Sam, Epps and their team and ordered the Wreckers to kill the pilot. After making a speech about taking the fight to the Decepticons, Sam and Bumblebee took the downed fighter to rescue Carly and succeeded, killing Laserbeak in the process and hooking up with Optimus and the rest of the Autobots afterwards.
Optimus and the other Autobots headed further into the city to open a way for Sam, Epps and their team to make their way to a building where they would attempt to shoot down the Control Pillar. Along the way, Shockwave and his Driller attacked, separating Optimus from his trailer in the struggle. After linking up with the humans in a building, Optimus headed out to retrieve his trailer, needing the weapons and flight gear it contained.
Optimus successfully retrieved his trailer and flew in time to attack the Driller and save the team from death. Optimus shot the Driller multiple times before crashing through it's neck, breaking it in half and killing it. Optimus landed on top of a crane where an enraged Shockwave blasted him, causing him to get tangled up in cables. Optimus was spotted by the Wreckers who quickly climbed up to cut him free.
The Wreckers eventually cut Optimus free and he flew back into battle, killing several Decepticons before attacking Shockwave. Optimus slashed Shockwave across the torso with bladed knuckles and tore his eye out, killing him. Seeing an opportunity, Optimus used Shockwave's cannon to blast the Control Pillar from the building its on, temporarily deactivating the space bridge that is bringing Cybertron to Earth. Optimus then challenged an enraged Sentinel to battle and dueled him using a battle-axe and his sword. Optimus had the upper hand until Sentinel called in the Decepticon fighter ships to attack his former apprentice. Optimus was forced to turn his attention to the Decepticon fighters and shoot them down with his Ion Blaster, allowing Sentinel to flee.
After the fighters were destroyed, Optimus pursued Sentinel, quickly catching up with him at a bridge and re-engaging him. Optimus held his own, until Sentinel cut off his right arm and knocked him down. As Sentinel was about to execute Optimus, he was attacked from behind by Megatron, who had been convinced by Carly that Megatron would be working for Sentinel not with him as Megatron wanted. Taken completely by surprise, Sentinel took a severe beating from Megatron, who tore the elder Prime's helmet off and his chest armor apart. At the same time, after Sam killed Dylan Gould, who had reactivated the space bridge, Bumblebee and Ratchet destroyed the Control Pillar, causing all the Decepticon ships to get sucked up into Cybertron, which collapsed upon itself and was apparently destroyed forever.
Seeing his plans in ruins, Megatron proposed a truce, saying all he wanted was to be in charge again and slyly asked Optimus what he would be without him. Unable to trust Megatron, Optimus responded "Time to find out", and attacked his eternal foe. Even one-armed, Optimus was too much for Megatron and he impaled his eternal foe in the head with his battle-axe and ripped it off, killing him. The badly injured Sentinel attempted to excuse his actions, but Optimus refused and told Sentinel he didn't betray the Autobots, but rather himself. Despite his former master's plea for mercy, Optimus fired two shots from Megatron's fusion shotgun, executing Sentinel.
Optimus then reunited with the humans and other Autobots and declared that they would never forsake Earth which was their new home with Cybertron now destroyed.
Age of Extinction Film
- Voice Actor: Peter Cullen (English), Tesshō Genda (Japanese), Alfonso Ramírez (Latin American Spanish)
|“||There are mysteries to the universe we were never meant to solve, but who we are and why we are here are not among them. Those answers we carry inside. I am Optimus Prime and this message is to my Creators. Leave planet Earth alone. Cause I'm coming... for you.||”|
—Optimus Prime's closing narration.
In the aftermath of the battle of Chicago, and realizing the destruction that his race has caused, the humans of a Earth turned against the Autobots, realizing his comrades were not safe, he ordered all the Autobots on Earth into hiding.
Following this betrayal, Optimus himself was attacked by the joint operation of Cemetery Wind and Lockdown in New Mexico. He was severely wounded by a shell fired by the bounty hunter. He fled the skirmish and took the form of a beaten up Flat-nose semi truck. He then hid in a broken down movie theater in a small town in Texas
Sometime after this, an inventor named Cade Yeager and his assistant Lucas Flannery, came to the theatre looking for parts for his inventions. Cade spots the truck and investigates it, as he opens the door piles of spent artillery shells fall out of the cab section. Cade then buys the truck and has it towed back to house.
While repairing the truck in his barn/laboratory with Lucas, Cade makes the discovery that it's not made of normal steel, and when he hooks it up to a power source it begins to play Optimus' warning message. Realizing what it is, Cade's daughter Tessa returns to the house. Working on it further, Cade finds something lodged in the trucks engine block, after dislodging it he pulls it out to figure out what it is, as he holds it, fires out of the barn and into the family room of the Yeager house. Tessa rushes to the barn to see what's going on, as she gets there the battered truck burst into life and transforms into the Autobot leader. Badly damaged, dazed and confused, Optimus lashes out at the 3 humans, hitting Lucas with his rifle. Cade manages to calm him down, Optimus then explains why he's in such a bad way, as he does this one of his ear pieces breaks off and crashes onto the floor of Cade's barn. Though his daughter and his friend disagree with him, Cade begins to try and repair Optimus as best he can. As the inventor fashions a shield for it, He reveals the the rocket that was lodged in him was inches away from his power source, Optimus explains that this is his Spark, the heart of a Transformer.
Elsewhere, at the HQ of Cemetery Wind, Harold Attinger is given intel that a truck matching the description of one seen leaving the skirmish sight in New Mexico had been spotted in Texas. He instantly deploys Cemetery wind to the Yeager house. Lockdown is also informed and takes position on a water tower a short distance away. He watches events unfold.
|“||Here I am!!!||”|
—Optimus as he burst out from Cade's lab.
Tessa warns her father that what looks like police are coming. Cade hides the Autobot Leader under his Lab. Cemetery Wind then force their way onto the Yeager's property and investigate. Attinger listens in on the mission. Realizing that Cade calls the truck by 'he', he notifies The commander. Getting this intel, the commander pins Tessa to the ground and threaten to shoot her if Cade doesn't tell them where Optimus is. In the Lab, Optimus tries to remain silent as CW soldiers investigate above him. However, he can hear what's going on outside and unable to hide any longer, he erupts from the ground and fights past the operatives. He then leaps out of the barn and takes on the rest of the troops creating a distraction for the Yeager family and Lucas to escape. Optimus' wounds, if not kills many of the operatives as Lockdown tries to stop him by launching a missile salvo at the escaping humans and Autobot. Enraged by the failure of the mission, he begins his own pursuit.
As Shane Dyson rescues the Yeager family, Optimus escapes into the near by town, closely followed by Lockdown, and then the Yeagers. They lose sight of the two transformers. On the roofs of an abandoned factory, Optimus engages Lockdown, even though he is vastly under-powered. He spots his new friends in trouble in the courtyard being chased by Cemetery Wind operatives. He leaps of the roof and purposely lands on one of the pursuing cars, crushing it. After this he reengages Lockdown. Wounding him enough to make a get away, he goes back for his friends as Shane's car has been broken down, he manages to save the Yeagers and Shane from a grenade thrown by Lockdown but Lucas was killed. Optimus then sped off into the desert, leaving Lockdown to lick his wounds.
|“||We are all targets now...||”|
—Optimus to his new companions.
A short time later, Optimus pulls into an abandoned gas station. He drops off the humans and goes back to check that they weren't followed. He later assists them in gaining intel on their new enemy.
Deciding the time was right Optimus hails the remaining Autobots. On his way to the rendezvous point, Optimus scans a new truck form. The process rejuvenates his rusted and battered armor as rust patches and broken parts flake off.
|“||So there's been no sign of any others?||”|
|“||We are all that's left...||”|
|“||They're picking us off one by one!||”|
|“||We're the pathetic, dirty foursome! and you make five.||”|
—In order, Optimus, Hound, Drift and Crosshairs discuss their situation.
Deep in Monument Valley, Hound and Drift spot him approaching. They all come together as Prime unloads the Humans, Crosshairs being especially happy to see him. He Transforms into his new robot form as his old friend Bumblebee approaches. Hound and Crosshairs aim they're weapons at the humans as they do not trust them anymore, but Optimus orders them to stand down as he explains that they owe them. The Autobots and their new allies then gather around a fire as Cade tells them about all the information he has discovered. They make a plan to infiltrate KSI.
En-route, the Autobots hold up in an abandoned building. Here Cade talks to him about the trouble he's had bringing up Tessa by himself, and trying to control her. Optimus then explains that he knows exactly what he means as he had the same problem with Bumblebee.
|“||They slaughtered Ratchet! I'm gonna TEAR them apart!!!||”|
—Optimus upon learning of Ratchet's demise.
After Bumblebee drops off Cade at the KSI facility in Chicago, the Autobots regroup and watch a live feed of what Cade is filming as he spies on the scientists. When Optimus sees the pictures of what they have done to Ratchet, he goes angry and slams his fist into a lamppost. He then storms off and launches a raid against the facility. They speed through the city, Bumblebee acquiring a new alternate as he goes. Bumblebee smashes through the atrium window, and hitches a ride with drift up to the floor where the captured Cade is being questioned. Optimus and the rest if the Autobots continue to storm through the building to get to the lab. Once there, they destroy everything and free Brains. Joshua Joyce tries to stop them. He tells them that they are not needed anymore. Hearing this, Optimus tells the Autobots to fall back.
Departing from KSI in disgust, Optimus is attacked by Joyce's creation, Galvatron, which he swiftly realizes is a 'reborn' Megatron, created when Brains was forced to help KSI access the databanks in Megatron's damaged head. During the fight, Optimus and Tessa are captured by Lockdown, who is revealed to be an agent of the creators of the Transformer race, sent to claim Optimus and the ancient Dinobots- early versions of the Transformers- for the creators. The other Autobots manage to rescue the prisoners in a detachable section of Lockdown's ship, but their attempt to warn Joyce about Galvatron's true nature cause all of KSI's drone fleet to activate.
While Bumblebee and Hound attempt to hold off the drones, Optimus releases the Dinobots, defeating Grimlock in a fight to win his allegiance as they fight for their freedom against their creators. As the Decepticons are overpowered by the Dinobots, Lockdown attacks Optimus, but Cade is able to distract Lockdown long enough for Optimus to gain the advantage and defeat him.
Optimus regroups with the Dinobots, Autobots and their other human allies. Optimus bids farewell to the Dinobots on good terms, informing them that they are now free from anyone's control. Optimus announces that he will venture into space as he still has a price on his head placed by the mysterious Creators. He also desires to not only remove the Seed from Earth, but to find out who and what he is as well. Optimus admits to Cade that he did not know if they would ever meet again, but asks his family to think of one of the stars above as his soul. Optimus orders the Autobots to guard the Yeagers and their allies in reparation for their own protecting them. Optimus implores them to defend all the humans that can be as he departs Earth.
As he leaves the planet, Optimus sends a message to whoever his Creators are to leave Earth alone because he is coming for them.
Transformers The Game
- Voice actor: Peter Cullen
Optimus Prime provides intelligence and missions to Bumblebee in his search for the All Spark. Eventually, the clues lead the Autobot to Sam Witwicky. After saving Sam from Barricade, Bumblebee finally completes preparations for the Autobots to arrive on Earth.
Once on Earth, and having informed the two teenagers of their mission, Prime and the Autobots are discovered by Sector 7. Optimus sends Jazz on a high-speed
destruction distraction mission, then sends Ironhide to rescue Jazz from a double-threat posed by the government agents and various Decepticon scouts.
When Bumblebee is captured, Prime transforms and chases the chopper which from which the small Autobot is tied. After a lengthy chase, Prime manages to catch the net, only to be thrown off by another Cybertronian meteor. As Bumblebee is carried away, Optimus promises he will not fail him again. Jazz informs him that the meteor is not an Autobot. Prime confronts the new threat, who turns out to be the Decepticon Triple Changer Shockwave. The two battle it out across Tranquility before Optimus finally destroys him. But not without overhearing Starscream's transmission revealing the location of the All Spark.
Optimus then returns to an intel role as he guides Bumblebee in his mission to retrieve the All Spark from Hoover Dam. Unfortunately, the Decepticons manage to free Megatron, leading to the final battle in Mission City.
As the Autobots battle it out with the Decepticons to protect Sam and the All Spark, things seem to take a turn for the worst as Megatron finally arrives. But before he can claim the cube, Optimus attacks him.
The two battle it out until Megatron is finally on the ground, seemingly devoid of life. Optimus then kneels to take the All Spark as Sam hands it to him. Megatron however awakens, leaping at Optimus with his chain-flail out, and making one last attempt at defeating his adversary. Optimus grabs the chain, pulling Megatron in closer, and with the All Spark clutched in his fist, delivers a punch through Megatron's spark. As Megatron dies, Optimus reflects on the losses and rewards of this battle, as the Autobots have a new home. Optimus plans to guard the humans in secret, "For freedom is the right of all sentient beings."
- Voice actor: Peter Cullen
Arriving late on Earth, Optimus meets up with the other Autobots to give further commands to his troops. Create-A-Bot, the new rookie, is eager to help in the cause, but Optimus tells him to sit back while the grown-ups take care of business. Getting fed up with the bureaucracy, Create-A-Bot finally defies orders and completes a mission against Optimus's council. After nearly getting himself and the other Autobots killed, Create-A-Bot apologizes to Optimus personally. Taking pity on the newcomer, Optimus lets him off with a stern warning, and they move out together to face Megatron. During the fight, Create-A-Bot sacrifices himself to save his commander. Megatron defeated, Optimus commends the young Autobot as a war hero, and sends out an interstellar message to any Cybertronians living among the stars.
- Voice actor: Peter Cullen
Landing on Earth, Optimus quickly joins the other Autobots to attempt to stop the Decepticons. He doesn't actually appear, however, until Megatron himself is released and Starscream escapes with the AllSpark. He steps in to thwart the maniacal leader of the Decepticons, but alas, is struck down, left in the streets while Megatron gives chase to his traitorous second-in-command. You can ironically cheat by jumping on a building and shoot him then.
Revenge of the Fallen game
- Voice actor: Peter Cullen
- He is an available character in Transformers: Revenge of the Fallen the video game.
- He is available in his movie form and in all gold as Gold Optimus Prime.
- His primary weapons are laser rifles. His secondary weapons are twin shell cannons. His vehicle mode weapons are twin slow-rate machine guns. His vehicle mode is a peterbilt truck. His special coats him in blue, absorbs damage, and increases melee damage.
Dark of the Moon game
He is the player in Chapter 7, when he defeats the Driller and Shockwave.
Rise of the Dark Spark game
Optimus Prime is the embodiment of all attributes inherent in a great leader. His wisdom, valor and nobility are unparalleled. He is as mighty as a warrior on the battlefield as he is kind and self-sacrificing to his troops and those in his care.
- Master Combatant: Throughout the Live-action film series, Optimus is shown to be an exceptionally formidable combatant. In fact, the only ones that have been able to defeat him in combat are Megatron, Sentinel Prime and Lockdown.
- Master Swordsman: Throughout the Live-action film series, Optimus is shown to be a formidable swordsman.
- Expert Marksman: Though he prefers hand-to-hand combat, Optimus is extremely proficient in the use of firearms.
- Master Tactician: Throughout the Live-action film series, Optimus is shown to be a expert tactician.
- Expert Leader: Throughout the Live-action film series, Optimus is shown to be a great leader.
- Master Driver: Throughout the Live-action film series, Optimus is shown to be an expert driver in vehicle mode. In the first movie, he was able to do a swift u-turn, while driving at a high speed and in the third movie, he was able to tranform at a high speed in mid-air even with a trailer attached to him.
- Super speed: Throughout the Live-action film series, Optimus is shown to be a fast compared to that of an average cybertronian as a robot. He was shown to outrun helicopters in the first film and was able to outrun Sentinal Prime, when Sentinal Prime was in vehicle mode as shown in the third film.
- Super strength: Throughout the Live action series, Optimus was shown to be strong robot for a cybertronian. He was able to take down Shockwave with ease in the third movie.
- When Optimus' design was first revealed, many fans of the Generation One series objected to the flames seen on Prime's body. When asked in an interview why he put the flames on, Michael Bay claimed he liked them because it was "cool". It was later revealed on a special featurette on the DVD that the flames were added to give Prime's red color a brighter tone, as apparently red is not very good to film on camera.
- In his current form, he is one of the few (if not the only) version of Optimus Prime who's windshields are not seen on his chest in robot mode.
- The announcement of Peter Cullen as Prime's voice actor in the movie is credited by some fans as alleviating many fan tensions about the movie. Not all tensions, mind you, as there are some who just can't forgive, but it put the easily pleased fans in a good mood.
- After seeing Megatron dead in the first movie, Optimus somberly, yet remorsefully stated, "You left me no choice, brother" — Ironically, in the third movie, Optimus killed Megatron even after he offered a truce (though it should be noted that the truce came across as little more then another unworthy trick).
- TakaraTomy officially recognizes Optimus Prime's vehicle mode as a Kenworth W900 truck, even though the vehicle used for filming was a modified Peterbilt 379, a different model from a different brand, although both are made by the PACCAR company.
- When Optimus Prime scans a truck for his new body, the passing truck has what appears to be an Autobot badge on its grill, but the actual truck that Prime turns into at the end of the scene has a much wider, flatter symbol on the grill which looks rather more like that of Peterbilt. Then, Prime has an Autobot badge on his grill while driving to meet the other Autobots.
- As part of the hype buildup to the movie release, Optimus Prime made a brief cameo at the 2007 MTV Movie Awards, interacting with host Sarah Silverman. The scene spliced Silverman into pre-existing movie footage, but featured new dialogue recorded for the event by Peter Cullen. Prime heavily hinted that he wanted to present an award, but was rejected for a regular MTV fan.
- Optimus is officially 9.75m (32 feet) tall, weighs 4.3 metric tons, and his primary weapon is an ion blaster. (Considering Optimus' height, however, this weight would seem implausible. However, it is worth noting that a Peterbilt 379 actually does weigh 4.3 metric tons. Make of that what you will.)
- According to a tie-in advertisement for Burger King, Prime likes his Whoppers with no onions, no cheese, and with extra pickles on the side. However, due to a cruel twist of fate, he can never enjoy the sweet taste of beefy victory.
- The Optimus Prime computer generated model consisted of 10,108 individual parts, 1,830,898 polygons, 27,744 rig nodes, and 2336 texture maps. The volume of all pieces combined came to 154 cubic metres (5445 cubic feet).
- Optimus Prime (in truck mode) made an appearance at BotCon 2007, alongside the Sector Seven Mobile Command Unit. He was available for pictures all weekend.
- In the Transformers: Destiny issue, Prime's holographic driver is modeled after Peter Cullen. Yep, that's right, Prime drives himself.
- On July 6, 2009, Optimus Prime, voiced by Peter Cullen, aired on the Late Show with David Letterman. He guest starred to say, "The top ten things that sound cool when spoken by a giant robot".
- 10: "Jergens lotion leaves my hands silky smooth."
- 9: "Do you have these khaki's in size 114?"
- 8: "My perfect night involves a pint of Häagen-Dazs, and season three of 'Sex and the City'."
- 7: "Man, do I love me some taters."
- 6: "It was so hot in Central Park today, I saw a squirrel rubbing sunblock on his nuts."
- 5: "You seemed a little pitchy, dawg."
- 4: "Brody Jenner has added you as a friend on Facebook."
- 3: "Live from New York, it's Saturday Night."
- 2: "My parents wanted me to be a rabbi."
- 1: "All the slammin' shorties in the house say, 'Yeeeah'."
- In Revenge of the Fallen, Optimus throws a few insults to the Decepticons he's fighting. When he first attacks Megatron, he says: "Weak!", "Puny!" and "Waste of Metal!". And when he's finished with Grindor, he shouts: "Piece of tin!".
- Out of the other existing continuities, this Optimus Prime is probably the most aggressive incarnation, based on how he speaks to government officials and how he deals with enemy combatants. Though considering who directed the movie, this doesn't seem too shocking.
- Total Faces/Heads messed up: 5
- Apparently this Optimus likes to go for Decepticon's faces during battle. Listed in order of occurrence:
- Optimus rams his sword through Bonecrusher's neck and tears his head off in the first movie.
- He helps to bring down Demolisher by shooting him multiple times in the head at point blank range in Revenge of the Fallen. After Demolisher crashes, Optimus finishes him off by shooting him through the eye.
- In the forest battle from Revenge of the Fallen, Optimus grabs hold of Starscream, kicks Megatron in the face when he chances after Sam, and then lifts and kicks Starscream in the face/jaw. He also digs his energon hooks into Grindor's face and rips his head apart.
- In the final battle in Egypt from Revenge of the Fallen, Optimus makes Megatron shoot himself in the face with his own arm cannon, and rips off The Fallen's face while exclaiming, "Give me your FACE!" as he does so.
- In Dark of the Moon, Optimus charges Shockwave, though he does extensive body damage, he finishes him by gruesomely ripping his eye out of its socket.
- In Dark of the Moon, Optimus axes Megatron's head and rips it off his body, along with his spine. Soon after, he takes Megatron's fusion shotgun and shoots Sentinel Prime, first in the back, then in the head.
- In Dark of the Moon the comic adaptation, Optimus uses his blades to open Shockwave's face and rips his eye out of his face before killing him.
- In Age of Extinction, he impales Lockdown in the back, only to run his sword up his body and slice his face and head in half. He almost broke his habit!
- Next to his Energon swords and Ion blasters, he has also two hooks, similar to those used by paratroopers, which he uses to rip open Grindor's head.
- Although, it's possible, that his blades can open up to become the hooks, looking at the blades shape more closely.
- However, after closer inspection of the forest fight scene, Prime is seen throwing one of his blades at Grindor, implying that the swords and hooks are separate pieces of weaponry.
- Even though Prime said he wants to find a peaceful resolution to the war, he declines Megatron's truce (though it is not very sincere) and brutally decapitates him.
- According to the movie site, Optimus Prime's closest ally is Ironhide, so he would have been pretty pissed at Megatron for causing Sentinel Prime to kill him.
- In the novelization, Megatron is much more serious about it and lays down his weapons. In return, Optimus spares him.
- In Dark of the Moon, he seems to have a slightly different chest. It sports a grill which is beneath the windows, making him look like he has abs.
- In Dark of the Moon, Optimus Prime's trailer can transform into flight gear or a weapon pack.
- Despite being a powerful warrior able to take down all the Decepticons he faces in the films, he always needs some kind of help to defeat the main villain of each movie: Sam had to kill Megatron for him in the first movie, and he needed Jetfire's parts to defeat the Fallen in the second movie. He also needed Megatron's help to defeat Sentinel in the third one, ultimately finishing him off rather than defeating him, and in the fourth movie he wouldn't be able to finish off Lockdown if it hadn't been for Bumblebee, Cade, Tessa and Shane.
- Even though he was supposed to get rid of Jetfire's parts, he looks much bulkier in the end scene of Revenge of the Fallen.
- In Revenge of the Fallen, as he enters into Shanghai, he is seen using his battle hooks to separate the parachutes and himself.
- Total on-screen transformations: 11
- An innovative Irish company, named RoboSteel, weld scrap steel from various vehicles into film characters and fantasy icons, they created an 8-foot (2.4 m) tall Optimus Prime. It took 2 months to build. It was revealed in the 2011 edition of the Ripley's Believe It or Not! book.
- In the 2012 edition of the book, it was revealed there was another two 8 ft sculptures, these were made in Bangkok, Thailand. Both stand in Ripley's museums, one in Orlando, Florida, and the other in San Antonio, Texas.
- In 2014, Optimus made an appearance in the Nickelodeon 2014 Kids Choice Awards. He did this to try and warn the host (who was Mark Wahlberg) that Nicola Peltz and Jack Reynor were about to slime him, which he prevented by sliming them.
- ↑ Autobot VS Decepticon Smackdown! - Megatron V. Optimus Prime, #4
- ↑ Article at Edmunds.com on some of the vehicles used in the movie
- ↑ Robertson, Barbara (2007). Heavy Metal. Computer Graphics, 30(7), 12-17.