Optimus Prime is the sadistic, tyrannical leader of the evil Autobots, a cruel and ambitious villain whose plans fall nothing short of universal conquest. First stop: Earth! The only thing standing in Prime's path to domination is Megatron, a young and noble Decepticon willing to lead a small band of rebels in a fight for freedom.
He would appear to be fond of the catchphrase "'Til all are gone!", since he's got it painted on his altmode's aero fairing (which is appropriate, since it transforms into his death-dealing ion blaster). He is also clearly insane, given to talking to corpses, but nobody quite has the lugnuts to say such a thing to his face.
Originally known as Optronix, Optimus Prime was obsessed with obtaining knowledge. Unsatisfied with his low position in society, he gained power through treachery and the ideology of conquest. Those who agreed with Optronix joined forces with him and severed ties with the old government of Cybertron to become autonomous-as a result, they took the name Autobots. Optronix was the first to begin upgrading himself to become more powerful, keeping the most powerful features for himself as he passed the knowledge on to his minions. Eventually, the group declared war on the rest of Cybertron, destroying any who refused to submit to their goals. During this period, Optimus Prime received a startling revelation that permanently damaged his sanity. He also banished the Old One, an aged Transformer had once served him as an advisor but whom he came to hold in contempt. Fortunately for Cybertron, a group of resistance fighters emerged to challenge Prime's reign: the Decepticons, a group of Transformers named for their ability to transform into vehicle modes and thus hide in plain sight. Their leader, the noble Megatron became Optimus' nemesis, particularly after Optimus managed to acquire transformation technology for his Autobots.
The campaign against the Decepticons was rudely intruded upon by Cliffjumper, an Autobot from another dimension. Optimus met this interloper when he was brought to him by Rodimus, his second-in-command, and believed him to be the Cliffjumper of his own universe. Optimus, suspicious of the bot he believed to be his old comrade, led Cliffjumper to the execution of Rumble, and shot Cliffjumper when the Autobot objected. Dumping him in the Rad Zone as a test of loyalty, Optimus focused his attention on preparations for his new battleship, the Ark. Despite reports from Blurr on the weakness of the launch platform, Optimus was unconcerned and even looked forward to a Decepticon attack. His plans to travel to other worlds and plunder them for energy reached a concerned Megatron, who soon led an attack on the launching platform. Facing off with his nemesis, Optimus saw Cliffjumper among the Decepticons and attacked him as a traitor, only to be thwarted. Cliffjumper then destroyed the platform, crippling the Ark and enraging Optimus, who watched impotently as his enemies escaped.
- Shattered Glass (BotCon box set, 2008)
- Accessories: Aero-fairing "ion blaster", smokestack rifle
- "Shattered Glass" Optimus Prime is a purple, gray, and black redeco of Classics Optimus Prime, transforming into a semi cab of undetermined, probably-made-up model. In robot mode, his aero fairing transforms into a large ion blaster, and his smokestacks transform into a smaller blaster. Additionally, both can combine together to form a back-mounted shoulder weapon.
- Optimus Prime is only available as part of a set of six toys, along with Autobot Jazz, Grimlock, Goldbug, Razorclaw and Starscream.
- Evil Optimus Prime's bio art was featured on the back of one of two t-shirts made available at BotCon 2008, and later on the Fun Publications Official Transformers Collectors' Club web-store.
- His cracked windshield is probably related to the name of the "Shattered Glass" series.