|Specifics: Fiction, toys|
Scavenger is an evil, evil Transmetal Predacon. Despite previous reports of him being their infantry commander, he's actually more interested in psychological warfare. He prefers to use fear to give him a tactical advantage, and nothing makes him feel better about himself than bullying others into being afraid of him. As well as a master blackmailer and a strategist, he's also created viruses to induce hallucinations in his foes. 
Regardless of what his primary function truly is, he likes to use his drilling third mode to ambush Maximals from underground.
IDW Beast Wars comics
Scavenger was one of the protoforms left behind by the crew of the Axalon on prehistoric Earth. He was activated and put in chronal phase by Razorbeast at Magmatron's request. He was sent to dispose of Razorbeast and his small band, but the attack was interrupted by a much larger force of Maximals.
- Scavenger (Mega Transmetal, 1998)
- Scavenger transforms into a robotic ant with a third "transport mode", a double-drill tank. The drills end up as his robot-mode hands, and spin using gear-wheels.
- There is a variant of the toy regarding the "SCAVENGER" name tampograph. On some versions, the name is printed on his right robot-mode thigh (still visible in ant mode). The other version has the name printed on the chromed abdomen shell. It is unknown if either of these are more rare than the other, and who cares?
- This toy was used as the Transmetal version of Inferno for the Japanese Beast Wars Metals line, with minimal changes.
- Scavenger's toy was obviously originally intended to be the Transmetal form of Inferno; early promotional pictures show the figure with an "Inferno" name tampograph on the abdomen. Why the change was made is unknown; while Hasbro might have just wanted to secure the trademark on "Scavenger", it's possible that since Inferno had a tendency to be a shelfwarmer (despite his on-show status), Hasbro felt a name-change might help avoid that. Ironically, Scavenger is notable for being possibly the Beast Wars toyline's biggest shelfwarmer. So much for that plan.
- Though Scavenger isn't Inferno, he is the Scarecrow.