Shockwave is a massive cycloptic Decepticon. Apparently, he's been working to oust Megatron since before Starscream got the idea. Starscream decided Shockwave will be lucky to be kept as a pet if he takes over.
Shockwave is described as a hyper lethal Decepticon assassin. He is also a scientist, coming up with twisted and soulless experimental Decepticons.Shockwave is Stronger than every Transformer. His weapons are as powerful as Megatron's, which he can rival, his Hand Cannon is powered by his own personal reactor mounted on his back. Shockwave has control over the massive, vicious beast known as the Driller and rides it into battle. Shockwave has a Sheild on his left arm for defense. He uses to block the gunfire from the Wreckers.
|“||That is one scary-ass Decepticon...!||”|
—Epps describes Shockwave., Dark of the Moon
IDW live-action film prequel comics
Revenge of the Fallen film
In 2009, Shockwave was caught on film and put in a newspaper article with the headline "Mysterious Robot Spotted". It was sucked up by Devastator.
IDW Dark of the Moon comics
Dark of the Moon film
- Voice actor: Frank Welker (English)
—Shockwave staring at Optimus Prime.
Shockwave and his pet Driller ambush NEST and the Autobots at Chernobyl after a tip-off by a Russian agent. The Driller steals the Ark's fuel cell that was being held there. After Optimus retrieves the Ark's fuel cell from the attacking Driller, Shockwave emerges from within his pet and glares at Optimus and says his name, then sinks back into the Driller and retreats, leaving Optimus very disturbed to see Shockwave on Earth. However, it was later revealed that this was all a ploy to get the Autobots to revive an old Autobot leader Sentinel Prime so he could use his space bridge pillars to bring an Decepticon army to Earth to enslave humanity.
Shockwave and his pet Driller took part in the capturing Chicago and sealed off the city from outside interference. When NEST and Autobots break in to Chicago, Shockwave immediately begins hunting the Autobots, with Driller hits Optimus' trailer again. The Wreckers attack Shockwave with their mounted machine guns in a fire fight. Shockwave used a car as a shield before tossing it away, firing back at the Wreckers and just ignoring their bullets. The Wreckers pulled out, Shockwave used this gap to reload, but he did not notice two Autobots Brains and Wheelie.
Later, he saw Robert Epps and his troops in a building after having a desk fall out the building and a tea cup break on his head. After noticing them, he quickly called in the Driller to take down the building. While the Driller was doing this, the Driller nearly succeeded in destroying Hudson tower, but Optimus flew in and destroyed it. Enraged, Shockwaves roared at Optimus and blasted him with his cannon, snaring the Autobot in some construction wires. Shockwave and his forces then temporarily retreated.
After that Shockwave and four protoforms put up a guard just a click from Sentinel's base of operations. Barricade soon joined them after escaping from an ambush from the Autobots, which resulted in Soundwave's death. Shockwave then took the time to observe him beating the other Decepticons blaming them for Soundwave's death and the other Autobots' escape, especially Bumblebee, Barricade's rival. However, the NEST troops ambushed the group of six. Barricade and another protoform were killed by bombs, while Shockwave began firing with his cannon and other members of NEST parachute in in an attempt to kill Shockwave. Eventually, all the NEST troopers are forced to engage Shockwave alone, with no success. One paratrooper is able to use his chute to cover Shockwave's eye long enough to bring Shockwave the pain by crippling his shoulder. Shockwave then came under fire from Epp's team, but even this didn't do much damage. Eventually, the Wreckers returned and fired at Shockwave, blowing his eye out.
Shockwave then fell back while taking fire from NEST, Wreckers and the edition of Sideswipe, Dino, Ratchet, Bumblebee and the U.S. Army and Navy SEALs, using many other Decepticons as cannon fodder. While stumbling around, Optimus, now free, engaged him after killing the other Decepticons, slashing Shockwave across his torso with bladed knuckles. But even this did not kill Shockwave. However, Optimus then pinned him down and ripped out his eye and throat, finally killing him. Optimus then used Shockwave's cannon to blast the Control Pillar from the building it's on, temporarily deactivating the space bridge.
Age of Extinction film
As Harold Attinger explained that the Transformers were being hunted and destroyed, he threw a bunch of cards down on a table with giant red X's across them. Shockwave's face was on one of those cards. KSI then based their "Two-head" units on him.
Transformers: The Game (console)
Shockwave also appears in the Autobots' Cybertron bonus stage. When there are only 3 Decepticons left, Shockwave is one of them. He doesn't transform in this stage (neither can the player character).
Transformers Decepticons (DS)
Shockwave is playable, after a fashion, via scanning the Attack Copter, the Recon Chopper and the Stealth Chopper. Only the Attack Chopper is able to look relatively like Shockwave, with purple and black as the colors.
Transformers Autobots (DS)
Shockwave's body type appears as three helicopters: the Attack Copter, the Recon Chopper and the Stealth Chopper. However, the only one of the three able to become purple like Shockwave is the Attack Copter.
Transformers: The Game (PSP)
Shockwave is a playable character in the PSP version of the game. However he only has one alternate mode, which is a rail-cannon tank based on Energon Shockblast. Accompanied by Thundercracker, he tried to find Megatron in the arctic, only to discover that his leader had been moved. However, he also found something worth more than the All Spark: the massive drone army that had followed Megatron to Earth.
To revive the drones, he had to transmit a signal from a high altitude, so he made his way to a missile base, where he used a rocket to transmit it from space. However, Shockwave's control of the giant robot army was shortlived, as the two Autobots Trailbreaker and Hound planted a virus in the signal, shutting the drones down. After Megatron was defeated, Shockwave fought Starscream over leadership of the Decepticons back on Cybertron. He was blasted to bits.
Dark of the Moon video game
Megatron plans to revive Shockwave, who is being held in Cryo-stasis with his Driller in a chamber of an abandoned Soviet military base that now serves as Megatron's base. Megatron finds it ironic that the Russians froze Shockwave the same way as the Americans froze him.
With navigation from Soundwave, Megatron slays Warpath and finds the Cryo Chamber. He deactivates the cyro process, but Optimus Prime arrives. The two battle, but Megatron deactivates Optimus' overshield and eventually defeats him. Megatron shoves Optimus into the Cryo-Statis chamber, where Prime discovers that Shockwave is thawing out from his icy prison. Ratchet activates the coolant tubes to keep Shockwave frozen, but the two of the Driller's arms activate, and destroy the tubes. Shockwave soon reactivates, and jumps off the platform he was frozen on, and attacks Optimus. However, Optimus forces Shockwave to retreat back onto the platform by damaging his weapon cooling tanks on his back. Before leaping to the platform, Shockwave blasts the ice holding the rest of the Driller frozen, reactivating it as well. Shockwave repeatidly fires at the Autobot, but Optimus manages to defeat the Driller, and Shockwave returns to battle Optimus. Autobot reinforcements arrive, but Shockwave easily kills them. Optimus Prime activates his jetpack and fires a volley of missiles at Shockwave. Shockwave would have been deactivated but, the Driller shields its master from the attack and retreats. The Decepticons regroup in Nambia, where Megatron orders the Decepticon assassin to recover an artifact in an abandoned nuclear factory located in Chernobyl, leading up to the movie.
Dark of the Moon
- Shockwave with Fusion Tank (Cyberverse, 2011)
- This Commander class Shockwave comes with a bigger treaded cannon that can turn into a weapons mount, mobile weapon, and a base.
- The Shockwave figure itself, it appears, is a smaller version of the Voyager class mould. The Weapons base is moddled on the Driller, likely to be the only toy representation of the Beast that will ever be released.
- In weapons mount mode, Shockwave's weapons can be placed on it.
- Shockwave (MechTech Voyager, 2011)
- Japanese ID number:
- Accessories: Partical wave blaster
- Shockwave is released as part of the second wave of MechTech Voyager figures. He turns into a tank/ground assault vehicle, similar in style to that of Megatron's in Revenge of the Fallen. His head is visible at the front of the vehicle.
- His battle cannon utilizes MechTech technology to convert to a particle wave blaster. The toy's file says that he prefers stealthy tactics and never leaves a trace.
- At 40 feet tall (he was reported as being 40 feet tall), he is one of the few Decepticons physically larger than Megatron in terms of height.
- In the Dark of the Moon comic, Shockwave has a far bigger part than in the film. He has a lot more things to say as well, like when Optimus kills driller: "That was a Magnificent creature, Prime. Now join it in extinction!". Optimus later kills him by slicing him right down the middle with his sword.
- His vehicle mode is never seen in Dark of the Moon, mostly because he uses Driller as transport most of the time.
- This makes him similar to the Fallen who also does not show his alternate mode through the duration of his movie.(because the fallen can teleport, so there really is no point for him to transform)
- He has a red eye just like his Transformers Animated counterpart, and he appears to have some sort of mouth, or mandibles, like another Decepti-Creep.
- Shockwave is featured on Linkin Park's music video for Iridescent, probably because of his former state as the main antagonist for Dark of the Moon.
- Shockwave is the second cycloptic Decepticon in the live-action films, the other being Ravage.
- Shockwave's Commander class toy with the weapons mount is strange compared to the other commanders toys line that come with trailers as it does not have a mode that Shockwave can attach to as a backpack.
- In tie-in comics leading up to the events of Dark of the Moon, it was explained that Shockwave is the reason why the Autobots barring Bumblebee, Ironhide, and Optimus were absent in Dark of the Moon, having killed them in a raid at NEST Headquarters.
- Shockwave has a scar on his right cheek.
- He seems to have some sort of a ribcage on his chest. Or maybe it is an exoskeleton, just like some Decepticons.
- There was difficulty on finding a voice actor for Shockwave. David Warner and Corey Burton declined, so Frank Welker, who never denies a voice role in either a movie or animated cartoon, was chosen. However, Shockwave only had five words of dialogue in the film. He said, "Optimus" at the Chernobyl scene and before the scene with Driller tipping over the skyscraper, "Drill Bot is thirsty". 
- When the Wreckers, in vehicle mode, were firing at Shockwave, he said "Ow!".
- The sentence "Drill Bot is thirsty" is almost completely inaudible. Even in a translated version, this was unchanged, possibly because translators didn't hear it due to the sounds of battle.
- If one decides to turn them on, you'll find that the line does appear in the subtitles.
- When he sends the Driller to topple the skyscraper, he says "Commence", after a sentence of Cybertronian.
- In most of the Dark of the Moon media, Shockwave uses a particle or laser cannon, while it appears to be some sort of cluster missile launcher in the film.
- Some fans think that Shockwave survived the battle of Chicago, because if one looks closely, they can see Prime didn't completely cut his head off.
- Although his eye was ripped out, so if he did survive, he'd be blind.
- Bryan Alexander of the Chicago Sun Times rated Shockwave 3rd of the top 12 most sinister movie villains in film for summer of 2011, being topped only by the Red Skull and Lord Voldemort.[Source needed]
- It can be argued that Shockwave was the most effective Decepticon in the movie. He and his Driller left the fuel rod behind in Chernobyl which set up the events of the whole movie. In the Chicago battle, Shockwave disables Prime and traps him in cables which takes him out of most of the battle. Also it takes many NEST troops (including Lennox and Epps), the Wreckers, Dino, Sideswipe and Ratchet to damage and blind him.
- In a scene somewhere near the one in which he says "Driller Bot is thirsty", a cup from the building in which Robert Epps and Sam are in falls on his head — and he does not look at where the cup came from. He surely needs a sense of touch. And when he has it, he would be singing a song about it.
- In Age Of Extinction Film : Several drones that resemble Shockwave were built by KSI, these drones had two heads rather than one, and had two arm blades rather than an arm cannon. One two-headed Shockwave drone was seen fighting Hound, the drone pinned him to the ground but was destroyed when Hound shot both heads with a single shot from his cigar.