Ad blocker interference detected!
Wikia is a free-to-use site that makes money from advertising. We have a modified experience for viewers using ad blockers
Wikia is not accessible if you’ve made further modifications. Remove the custom ad blocker rule(s) and the page will load as expected.
|The Transformers: Stormbringer > Issue # 2|
|Previous Issue||Next Issue|
The avatar of doom awakens.
Jetfire is interrogated by the Decepticon Bludgeon, who is leading a team intending to continue what the dormant Thunderwing started. Thunderwing, we discover in Jetfire's flashback, was a Decepticon scientist who predicted the environmental catastrophe that struck Cybertron and attempted to take action. In the meantime, Optimus Prime receives a report on the destruction of the Calabi-Yau and decides to call in the Wreckers in case Thunderwing is indeed returning.
Bludgeon commences restoring power to Thunderwing using the Energon pocket detected by the Calabi-Yau, and reveals that he is using the Technobots as raw material for a "grafting process" that Thunderwing created. Jetfire attempts to stop Bludgeon, but is disabled.
Nosecone and Afterburner leave their escape pod and make their way across the surface of Cybertron, but the cosmic radiation plays havoc with their systems and they are rounded up by a pair of Centurion drones.
Having received the distress beacon, Optimus Prime journeys to Cybertron with a group of Autobots, assigning the Wreckers to rendezvous with them. Springer tells Prime they may want to consider simply destroying the planet, as Thunderwing is supposedly indestructible. Prime says he'll consider that option.
A Decepticon infiltration unit on the planet Nebulos picks up something big and powerful exiting foldspace. The people of the planet look to the sky and flee in fear. The apocalypse has arrived—and its name is Thunderwing...
|Writer(s): Simon Furman|
|Art: Don Figueroa|
|Colors: Josh Burcham|
|Letters: Robbie Robbins|
|Editor(s): Chris Ryall and Dan Taylor|
(Numbers indicate order of appearance.)
- The inside cover of issue #2, solicited for August 2006, shows the publish date of the issue as June 2006, one month before the last issue.
Items of note
- If the Infiltration arc is maintaining a focus on the classic G1 characters, then Stormbringer is drawing in the more esoteric G1 Transformers and explaining their at-times odd technology. Thunderwing's "grafting process" and the resulting outer shells are the IDW version of the Pretender technology; Bludgeon's group are all from the G1 Pretender line, though they are regular Transformers at this point. The Decepticons on Nebulos include people from the Headmaster and other -master lines, but binary bonding does not yet exist (though Scorponok was shown attempting it on Nebulos).
- Bludgeon's group have all been redesigned for the comic, with their robot modes resembling their Pretender shells from the toyline.
- Jetfire and Scoop both refer to Primacron in almost religious manners. What this says about the IDW universe is unknown.
- The vessel will later be identified as the Ark-27.
- More background Autobots aboard Prime's ship: Sureshot, Pointblank, Override, Dogfight and Backstreet. Gunrunner and Crosshairs also make repeat appearances.
- Cover A: Prime's Autobots and Megatron's Decepticons vs Thunderwing wraparound cover by Don Figueroa and Josh Burcham. This cover can be combined with similar ones from the other three issues to form a giant battle scene. This cover/section of the large image seems to represent the Transformers who tangled with Thunderwing in the past, other than Optimus Prime himself.
- Cover B: Half colored Thunderwing wraparound cover by Don Figueroa and ???
- Cover RI-A: Cover A uncolored
- None yet identified