|G.I. Joe vs. the Transformers: The Art of War > Issue # 2|
|Previous Issue||Next Issue|
On Cybertron, Optimus blissfully performs some data management tasks, until Hot Rod interrupts with news of the battle on Earth. Hot Rod dismisses Cobra's potential to be a threat to Cybertron's new-found era of peace, but Optimus advises Hot Rod to not underestimate them.
On Earth, the Autobots begin to track the missing Bumblebee, and Grimlock follows his faint life-signals into the tunnel Cobra excavated.
Underground, Cobra Commander awakes and resolves to beat on the unconscious Bumblebee with a nearby piece of pipe. Amazingly, he, Zartan and Zarana don't notice as Perceptor, Grimlock, Scarlett, Arcee, Snake-Eyes and Hawk sneak up behind them. Hawk explains to Perceptor that he was unaware of the underground laboratory, and the Decepticon components stored inside of it.
Cobra Commander explains the nature of the laboratory and how it was used to develop the Serpent Organic Robot. As if on cue, Serpent O.R. attacks the Transformers and the Joes. Using his tendrils, he seizes remote control of the Joes' mechs. In the confusion, Cobra Commander and the Dreadnoks escape.
Scarlett attacks Serpent O.R. directly, but is quickly tossed aside by the synthetic being. Tired of the skirmish, he brings down the ceiling upon everybody still in the underground laboratory. Making his way to level 6, Serpent O.R. brushes aside Mainframe and other Joe technicians and intimidates Firewall.
Back in the underground lab, the Autobots dig themselves out of the rubble and the G.I. Joes exit their buried mechs. Despite being outside of her mech during the collapse, Scarlett survives, and discovers Martin and Li.
Above, Serpent O.R. overrides the G.I. Joe computers, using them to transport him to Cybertron.
On Cybertron, in the Gladiator Zone, a battle between Razorclaw and Nautilator quickly escalates into a battle between Predaking and Piranacon. But before Predaking kills Piranacon, Serpent O.R. interrupts the battle to recruit the two teams into his new Decepticon army.
- Release date: April 19, 2006
(Numbers indicate order of appearance.)
Items of note
- Optimus Prime's references to his days as an archivist is a reference to the first issue of Dreamwave's series The War Within. This is consistent with the previous issue of The Art of War, when Megatron's War Within form was visible in Soundwave's memory files.
- When Serpent O.R. ambushes the Joes and Autobots, the logo for Transformers website 'The Allspark' is visible on a wall panel.
- Cover A: Arcee and Scarlett surrounded by Decepticons by Joe Ng, Espen Grundetjern and Tom Liu. Combines with the Cover A variant covers for issues 1–5 to form a single image.
- Cover B: Optimus Prime and Snake-Eyes by Chris Lie, John Lowe and Jeremy Roberts.
- Udon Exclusive Cover: Female Transformers with some female Joes by Joe Ng: Available at Conventions and on the Club Udon website. Combines with Club Udon variant covers for issues 1–5 to form a single image.
- G.I. Joe Declassified #1
- Free Comic Book Day
- G.I. Joe America's Elite: 13
- G.I. Joe America's Elite: The Hunt for Cobra Commander
- How to Self-Publish Comics Not Just Create Them vol. 4
- Dragonlance Chronicles: Autumn Twilight TPB
- Sojourn #2
- G.I. Joe Sigma 6 #6
- G.I. Joe #11
- The Art of War #3 (back cover)