Ad blocker interference detected!
Wikia is a free-to-use site that makes money from advertising. We have a modified experience for viewers using ad blockers
Wikia is not accessible if you’ve made further modifications. Remove the custom ad blocker rule(s) and the page will load as expected.
|The Transformers > Season 2 > Episode 7|
|Previous episode||Next episode|
|Fight! Super Robot Lifeform Transformers> ep 65|
|Previous episode||Next episode|
When the Autobots perform a race for charity, the Decepticons take the opportunity to trap them in their vehicle modes.
- Japanese title: "Stop the Transform!"
Meanwhile, in an old west ghost town, the Constructicons have completed the Transfixatron, a new device that will lock a Transformer in the mode they currently occupy (usually vehicle mode). Laserbeak arrives, informing the Decepticons about the Autobot race.
Starscream complains that Megatron is wasting time with the device instead of leading an attack. In response, Megatron tests the device on his whiny subordinate, and it's a success. Starscream is stuck in jet mode and begs to be released, saying he'll do whatever Megatron wants and he's too valuable to the Decepticon cause. Megatron gets bored of Starscream's pleas and frees him. Satisfied with the test, Megatron orders the Constructicons to start working on a second device whose purpose will be revealed later.
Chip and Spike suggest their race idea to the Autobots, and Optimus Prime agrees, as long as it's for charity. Huffer complains that it's a waste of time and a bad idea (as usual), but the Autobots decide to do it. Huffer, Brawn, Ratchet, and Wheeljack remain to guard the base.
The Autobots arrive at the track and wait at the starting line in robot mode before they compete "in the greatest automobile race in history." Some numbskull in the audience wonders aloud where their cars are. The Autobots transform, and the race is on with a whole lot of trash talk. Jazz, Sunstreaker and Mirage rush ahead of the slower vehicles like Trailbreaker and Ironhide.
During the race, Skywarp teleports to a position over the track and uses the Transfixatron on the Autobots, who don't notice. The Autobots near the finish line, but they're kicking up so much dust it's impossible to tell who won. "The real winners are us, folks!" says the announcer.
Next up, the Autobots line up to do some stunts and make "Evel Knievel look like a kiddie car driver," according to Spike. But Sunstreaker's attempt to jump the other Autobots falls short and he has to be saved by Windcharger's magnetic powers.
Before they can do anything else, the Decepticons arrive. The Autobots attempt to transform, only to find that they are all stuck in vehicle mode. Optimus orders the Autobots to ram the Decepticons, but they simply shoot out the Autobots' tires, fire rays to make their engines overheat and disable their radios. Helpless, the Autobots are herded away by the 'Cons.
Bumblebee takes Spike and Chip back to the base, hoping Ratchet and Wheeljack can figure a fix for the Transfixatron ray. As usual, Huffer complains, but a massive bearhug from Brawn gets him to shut up, while Ratchet and Wheeljack get to work.
At the ghost town, Megatron forces Optimus Prime to watch his soldiers die one by one in the Constructicons' second device, a horrific crushing machine, starting with Ironhide. The Autobot leader dispatches Roller to distract Megatron, allowing Prime to ram the crusher, which frees Ironhide. Hound manages to send a signal to Teletraan I, just as Ratchet and Wheeljack finish working on a device which will allow the Autobots to transform...a grenade. (Real good thinking there, guys.)
Spike and the other Autobots arrive to save their comrades, but Soundwave dispatches Ravage and Rumble to deal with them. After a game of keep-away with the grenade, Chip manages to get it close enough to release its energy, allowing the Autobots to transform to robot mode.
The Constructicons form Devastator, but Cliffjumper and Wheeljack fire the Transfixatron at giant Decepticon, causing the Combiner to separate. The Decepticons retreat, and the Autobots destroy the Transfixatron.
Original airdate: October 31, 1985
Written by: Donald F. Glut
"No, Megatron. You can't mean to-"
"What's a test without a guinea pig-o-tron? Transform, I say!"
- —Megatron selects Starscream as the test subject for his latest device.
"Well, guys, what's next? I'm for anything except demolition derbyin'."
"If you're going to do what I think Sunstreaker, you've got boom glitches in your brain garage."
- —Mirage's colorful terms for Transformer anatomy.
"When they built me, they broke the mold!"
- —Sunstreaker, being accidentally very prophetic.
"I can't change back to my normal, handsome self!"
- —Modest and humble Sunstreaker
"It seems you Autobots have a slight identity problem?"
- —Megatron makes a funny.
"I just knew the race would be a bad idea, but would anyone listen to me? Oh, noooo!"
"Stifle it, Huffer, or I'll put my footio in your audio!!"
- —Huffer being an ass and Brawn looking to kick some.
"Ironic isn't it, Autobots, that after so many valiant battles, you will meet your end in the crushing jaws of this device so lovingly fashioned by my Constructicons."
- —Megatron's concept of irony is off.
"Later, guys. It's been really great knowin' ya."
- —Headed for the crushing device, Ironhide accepts his fate.
"What is that?"
"I call it a TARGET!"
- —Thundercracker and Starscream spotting Roller.
"I'm transforming! I see my true beauty emerging!"
"Let me guess: We retreat."
- —Megatron and Starscream realise it's the end of the episode
Animation and/or technical glitches
- When Starscream is criticizing Megatron (again), he only has one wing.
- When the Autobots are un-transfixed and transform into robot modes, Gears is colored like Brawn.
- When Chip is trying to locate the Autobots, Teletraan I is colored green instead of orange.
- When Spike, Chip, Bumblebee, Wheeljack and the other Autobots come to save Optimus Prime and the others Bumblebee is missing his head lights when he transforms into humanoid mode.
- Ratchet switches back and forth between his own coloration and Ironhide's several times during that same scene.
- The commercial bumpers for the second act break feature the theme music for G.I. Joe, not Transformers.
- When the Decepticons arrive at the Autobot show, Shockwave is among them.
- When the Autobots attempt to transform after being ambushed by the Decepticons, Sunstreaker is coloured red.
- When Wheeljack is attacked by Thundercracker and Skywarp, the latter is colored as Starscream.
- Prior to Skywarp teleporting to attack Wheeljack, he is colored like Thundercracker
- When the camera pans across to show the Constructicons' crushing device, there are two Starscreams and they are shown as being taller than the buildings they are standing next to. Plus, Wheeljack and Bumblebee can be seen lined up next to the other crippled Autobots when they are were at the Ark the whole time.
- When Roller starts driving around the Decepticons, he drives away from Starscream, who is standing with Thundercracker near the crushing device. The next shot shows him swerving away from Starscream, who is now standing with Soundwave some distance from where he previously was.
- Shockwave appears twice in this episode: first when Megatron is gloating about the Transfixatron, then when the Decepticons arrive at the race. Of course, it's possible that Shockwave came to Earth during this episode, but the idea of him just popping up and hanging around in the background seriously goes against the established notion that he always stays on Cybertron as its full-time guardian. Still, he's there, and he doesn't resemble any other Decepticon on Earth at the time, so this marks Shockwave's sole appearance anywhere other than Cybertron in the G1 cartoon.
- When the Decepticon shell is offered to the Constructicons' nasty claw-and-crusher machine, it immediately picks it up, munches it and reduces it to a handy ingot in ten seconds flat. When Ironhide is in its clutches however, it takes about forty five seconds to do nothing, except waggle Ironhide in the air. Bloody Constructicons.
- This is Roller's third and final appearance.
- This is the first episode where the Transformers formally refer to themselves as the "Transformers".
- This is one of three episodes from Season Two which were animated by AKOM (the others being "The Core" and "City of Steel"). They share similar art and animation styles, as well as some character model oddities.
- Megatron can shoot laser beams from his eyes, especially when he wants to scare away earth germs. Also, he struts towards the Autobots just before the blackout.
- Wheeljack states that the Transfixatron will "cancel Devastator's robot mode", though one would really expect it to just transfix Devastator as Devastator.
- The idea of a device to keep a Transformer frozen in one mode would be revisited over the years in other fictions, with Tarantulas's transformation lock lens, Megatron's transformation lock virus, the Protectobots' mode lock used on Blaster (G1), and an experimental weapon created by Shockwave.
- Chip, the kid that has to spend his life in a wheelchair, stands up to catch the grenade. What?
- Skywarp teleports twice in this episode. That's like half of his teleportations for the entire series.
- When Brawn mentions that someone needs to stand guard and Wheeljack and Ratchet tell him they'll keep Huffer company, they put their hands on Brawn.
- This is around the 26th episode when broadcast, but the 7th episode on the Rhino DVDs as well as this wiki's list.
(separate by commas and link each one so a page can be created for it if it does not already exist)