The Special Teams is an audiobook released in the UK as a special Robot Points promotion.
Cast (in order of appearance): Optimus Prime, Megatron, Starscream, Onslaught, Brawl, Blast Off, Swindle, Vortex, Silverbolt, Air Raid, Slingshot, Skydive, Fireflight, Dirge, Thrust, Ramjet, Blitzwing, Rumble, Hot Spot, Blades, First Aid, Streetwise, Groove, Motormaster, Dead End, Drag Strip, Wildrider, Breakdown, Menasor, Defensor, Superion, Bruticus
After falling afoul of Megatron, Starscream goes off alone and discovers a number of military vehicles which he decides to turn into his own private army. He rebuilds them into the Combaticons and sets of to confront Megatron.
Optimus Prime has assigned the Protectobots to defend the Pullham power plant that has been evacuated because of potential landslides. Megatron however has other ideas and sends the newly created Stunticons to capture the plant.
The Stunticons merge into Menasor but before they can act the Combaticons arrive under the command of Starscream. They combine into Bruticus and join Menasor in attacking Defensor. At that moment the Aerialbots arrive and merge into Superion.
The Aerialbots and the Protectobots eventually prevail and the Decepticons bid a hasty retreat leaving Prime to wonder if they have seen the last of the Decepticons this time.
Items of noteEdit
- Released as a promotional tape in the UK. Making it one of the UK's only items only avaiable using Robot points.
- This story borrows elements from many different G1 continuities.
- The first 5 minutes of the story retells the story of the Ark crashing on Earth and the Autobots being awakened by Starscream blasting the side of the volcano after the Decepticons are revived.
- Starscream apparently managed to squirrel away some Energon Cubes from the attack on the Burma Ruby Mines.
- Starscream’s attempt to assassinate Megatron is mentioned.
- The Aerialbots are created by Vector Sigma.
- The Aerialbots attempted defection in War Dawn is mentioned.
- Teletraan I is mentioned but it appears to belong to the Decepticons.
- The whole power plant episode is a retelling of the same plot from the Marvel UK comic #64 - Second Generation!.
- The story is fairly lightweight, being little more than a glorified advert. Most of the running time is taken up with descriptions of the Special Teams' characters and abilities.
- The theme music used throughout the audio was used on several UK TV adverts at the time.
- ↑ This is not confirmed as it is not stated anywhere on the casing but it sounds a lot like him.