The Transformers, completed title The Story of Super Robot Lifeform - The Transformers, was a simplistically-titled manga which ran in TV Magazine between 1986 and 1987, and served as an accompaniment to Transformers 2010, the title given to the second year of the Transformers line in Japan. Quite why it didn't share the same title as the rest of the line, though, is unknown.
Like the Japanese version of the animated series, the manga takes place in the year 2010 as opposed to 2006. Like the Super Robot Lifeform manga, the "2010" manga is a supplement to the animated series, often filling in gaps in the story-telling or continuing occasional plots. A total of 5 issues were produced.
A few items of note:
- Galvatron unleashes a horde of Megatron clones called the Megatron Military, which are actually just drones.
- Starscream's Ghost teams up with the Quintessons and is given a new body dubbed Guiltar.
- The Transformers first visit the planet Feminia, which would later be seen in the Zone OVA.
- The Transformers (manga) issue 1
- The Transformers (manga) issue 2
- The Transformers (manga) issue 3
- The Transformers (manga) issue 4
- The Transformers (manga) issue 5