Ad blocker interference detected!
Wikia is a free-to-use site that makes money from advertising. We have a modified experience for viewers using ad blockers
Wikia is not accessible if you’ve made further modifications. Remove the custom ad blocker rule(s) and the page will load as expected.
|The Transformers > Season 2 > Episode 5|
|Previous episode||Next episode|
|Fight! Super Robot Lifeform Transformers> ep 13|
|Previous episode||Next episode|
Could Mirage have betrayed the Autobots?
- Japanese title: "Ligier's Betrayal"
At the Experimental Energy Research Laboratories, two scientists are working on the new electro-cells that will hopefully solve Earth's energy problems. Unfortunately, the cells won't be viable until they've been stabilized, which could result in a massive explosion. At that moment, Starscream and Skywarp tear through the roof and take the cells. Megatron arrives to remove the cells carefully, as an explosion could be quite destructive, and the Seekers are not known for being gentle. Having taken the cells, Megatron transforms and has Starscream fire away, destroying the lab to prevent any more from being created.
Meanwhile, Cliffjumper is tearing toward the Autobot base. Heading into the control room, he informs Optimus Prime that he's found where the Decepticons have placed the electro-cells—in the same place Mirage patrolled yesterday. Mirage is shocked that he didn't get a reading on them, and Cliffjumper says that maybe Mirage did. Before any formal accusations are made, Optimus Prime politely tells Cliffjumper to shut up. The Autobot leader then leads a team to recover the cells.
At a canyon, the Decepticons have hooked up a buffer device to the cells. Starscream uses it as a chance to call Megatron a coward for not turning on the cells and filling Energon cubes, then he activates it. The cells fill the cubes rather quickly, but just as quickly drain the cubes and explode. Megatron walks over to show Screamer the business end of his fusion cannon.
As he does so, the Autobots arrive, but are spotted by Laserbeak, who tells Soundwave. Megatron orders Soundwave to call in the Insecticons, with the promise of a special reward. A battle ensues, during which Mirage is injured by Skywarp, though he manages to tear off the Decepticon's insignia. The Insecticons then arrive, turning the tide of battle, but a stray shot by Shrapnel hits the buffer, risking an explosion. The Autobots take the Decepticons' distraction as a chance to retreat.
At the base, Mirage is repaired, while Cliffjumper continues his accusations of treason. Mirage defends himself, and Optimus orders Cliffjumper on recon, with instructions to inform them if Megatron tries to move the cells. Ratchet tells Mirage to rest, but Mirage doesn't need rest. Leaving the base, he heads to the Insecticons' hideout, where they are discussing their "special reward" - two energon cubes. Going invisible and sneaking into the base, Mirage swipes the cubes while the Insecticons aren't looking, leaving the Decepticon insignia in their place, then drives to the valley. However, Cliffjumper spots him.
Naturally assuming that Mirage is a Decepticon, Cliffjumper prepares to fire, only for the Insecticons to arrive. As Mirage slips away, Starscream discovers Cliffjumper, but the little guy is able to escape. Megatron comes to investigate, and they spot Mirage. They fire, but it appears that the Decepticons are firing on the Insecticons. The Bugs and the Cons throw down, but Mirage is caught in the crossfire. Bombshell implants a cerebro-shell into Mirage and has him fire on the Decepticons as well. Megatron sees Mirage, puts two and two together, and convinces the Insecticons to stop fighting the Decepticons. Megatron also plans to use Mirage for a little trap of his own.
Heading back to the base, Cliffjumper tells Prime what he saw. Optimus, Ratchet, and Cliffjumper head to the valley, where Mirage greets them and explains his original plan, saying that the Insecticons fled from the battle and the Decepticons chased after them. Despite Cliffjumper's warnings, the Autobots head to retrieve the cells, only for the Decepticons to ambush them, with Mirage joining in on the fire. Cliffjumper attacks Mirage, throwing him some distance, which apparently deactivates him.
Bombshell commands Mirage to continue, but gives up. Ratchet then investigates and notices the cerebro-shell. Removing it allows Mirage to regain control, and he rejoins the fight—on the side of the Autobots. Prime makes a run for the cells, but Megatron concludes that if he can't have them, no one can. Firing randomly, he explodes the buffer device, sending the Decepticons everywhere possible as the Insecticons and Autobots retreat. Emerging from the wreckage, Megatron laments his hasty action.
As Prime informs the scientists of what happened, Ratchet works to repair Mirage, while Cliffjumper laughingly admits that he may need some repairs as well - for having doubted his friend. Awwww.
Original airdate: September 27, 1985
(Numbers indicate order of appearance.)
"I just love opening presents."
- —Skywarp as he breaks through the roof of a human research institute
"Where's the courage that your leadership demands, Megatron? To discover if something works, you must dare to... test it!"
- —Starscream activating the electro-cells, not noticing the irony when he mentioned 'courage'
"You fool! You'll destroy us all!"
"Destroy us all, oh brave Megatron? Perhaps the Decepticons should look elsewhere for direction. Someone prepared to make command decisions!"
- —Megatron and Starscream argue over who is a better leader. Again.
"This time, you have dared too much, Starscream. You must pay the price for your insolence!"
- —Megatron threatens to terminate Starscream. Again.
"There, Prime. In that valley, where Mirage found nothing."
- —Cliffjumper highlighting Mirage's failure to find the Decepticon base in a place he patrolled.
Cliffjumper: "Try and remember which side you're on, Mirage."
Optimus: "Keep your mind on the Decepticons, Cliffjumper."'
Cliffjumper: "That's just what I'm doing!"
- —Optimus Prime reprimands Cliffjumper for his suspicions.
"An electro-cell! Come to papa!"
"Not so fast, papa."
- —Cliffjumper and Starscream with witty banter
Skywarp: "I didn't feel a thing!"
Mirage: "Then let's try... AGAIN!"
(Mirage takes a swing at Skywarp, but misses. Skywarp then grabs his arms in a locking hold)
Skywarp: "Too fast for you, huh, Autobum?"
- —Skywarp fighting against Mirage.
"Release the electro-cells, Megatron. They don't belong to you."
"I possess them, therefore I own them! You've lost, Optimus Prime. Your destruction is at hand! Neither you nor your Autobot simpletons will prevent me from ruling the universe."
- —Optimus Prime and Megatron discuss the finer points of legal ownership, just before Kickback supports Megatron's point by blasting Prime
"Uh-oh. Sounds like I'm not alone."
"You're not! And this is one of those times when you really need a friend!"
- —Cliffjumper and Starscream's witty banter, part two!
"HAHAHAHAH! Time for me to disappear."
- —Mirage after tricking the Insecticons and the Decepticons into fighting one another.
"You missed again!"
"We both missed. Don't worry about the Autobots and worry about them!"
- —Megatron and Starscream cut short this round of the Blame Game to deal with attacking Insecticons.
"Those greedy little Insecticons are trying to steal my electro-cells. I will squash them like the bugs they are! Decepticons, attack!"
- —Megatron shows a preference for bombing bugs instead of using bug-bombs.
"You wouldn't cheat us. You need us to get rid of the Autobots. Maybe after that, you'll rob us blind. But not now!"
- —Bombshell after hearing Megatron's explanation of Mirage's trickery
"My... my electro-cells! They...they were meant for me! They were meann... argh!"
- —Megatron, damaged and in the ruins of the storage base which he destroyed
Animation and/or technical glitchesEdit
- When Megatron is rushing to put out the fire on the electro-cells, there are two Starscreams beside him.
- When the Decepticons accidentally fire on the Insecticons who believe Megatron has betrayed them, Shrapnel's voice is completely different.
- The insignia that Mirage tears off Skywarp should surely be made of metal, but Mirage can be seen crushing it into a ball and opening it up again as if it were fabric on several occaisions.
- Megatron makes a case of how volatile the electro-cells are and immediately hands them over to Skywarp, one of the dumber Decepticons around.
- Despite being a scientist, Starscream doesn't believe that any experimentation is needed with the cells. Then again, considering his delusions of grandeur, Starscream doesn't have a very good grip on reality.
- Cliffjumper is very quick to accuse Mirage of treachery, despite never showing any signs of mistrusting him before—e.g., "More Than Meets the Eye, Part 2". Then again, Cliffjumper is a jerk. But not as big a jerk as some people.
- Shrapnel makes use of his grenade launcher that fires spikes all around the target. It's nasty, as Mirage can attest.
- Poor Reflector. He (they?) appear(s?) just to be thrown back by the explosion of the electro-cells.
- This episode ends with Cliffjumper jumping in Mirage's lap, and the two of them hugging and rolling over, while Ratchet laughs. This is the epitome of weird.
- This is not the only time that a Mirage has been suspected of treachery.