Transformers Battle Universe is a fighting game for Hasbro's proprietary Net Jet "instant online game system." Its roster includes ten characters and various locations from Transformers brand franchises such as Generation One, Beast Wars, and the 2007 movie.
- Generation One Starscream is based on Hasbro's Masterpiece Starscream toy.
- Beast Wars Optimus Primal
- Beast Wars Megatron
- Transformers Animated Optimus Prime
- Transformers Animated Megatron
- The Matrix appears when an opponent has been defeated in Adventure Mode. Picking it up summons the next opponent. When it appears, a short clip of choral music from Beast Wars's score plays.
- Green faction symbol
- Restores player's health
- Purple faction symbol
- Restores player's special attack meter
- Yellow faction symbol
- adds 500 points to your score
There are five Environments that you can play in, the last three need to be unlocked:
- Ark Crash Landing
- Metro City
- Space Bridge
- An orange spire on an asteroid orbiting Cybertron. You may even get a glimpse of Unicron's severed head floating by!
- Future Detroit
- From Transformers Animated.
During most of the modes of play, the only alternate mode that you get is a brief one or two second change before transforming back to robot mode--just enough to get off an attack. It's an effective way to get your opponent to back off and gets you more points than a punch or a kick.
However, during the Adventure mode, which pits you against five opponents one-at-a-time, you can use the transformation button between opponents to get extended use of the alternate mode. You won't change back until you hit the button again. If you get the Matrix before transforming back, then the battle will start with both of you in alternate mode. This can actually be disadvantageous though, especially if you choose the beasts or G1 Megatron. Primal and Dino Megatron have no attacks when in beast mode; the only damage they can do is by running into their opponent. G1 Megatron is on a fixed pedestal, which means the opponent can strike from any angle, but Megatron can't move to get out of the way. Still, it is fun, even if it's not an effective way to fight!